Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Labour snacks

Hi

Does anyone have any ideas for snacks to take to hospital when in labour...don't want to turn up with too little/too much and be frowned upon...

Any ideas would be great as its my first baby and I don't have a clue

Thanks x

Replies

• Options
    I packed cereal bars but really struggled to eat anything when I was in labour. But I would definitely suggest some drinks with straws, like cartons of juice, much easier than trying to use a cup or bottle!
  • Options
    Totally agree with Poz. I made my DH go to the shops whilst I was in hospital and bless him he came back with every sort of snack you can imagine (inc a McDonalds - totally stinking out the labour ward!!). However I had no desire to eat but did go through several cartons of ribena. Happy snacking! Kate x
  • Options
    I didn't think you were allowed to eat whilst in labour. I think it's to do with if you have a section the anesthetic might make you sick. I had been nil by mouth for 12 hours, I then had a section but STILL managed to be sick!

What I really wanted was some juice/pop but they wouldnt even let me have that!!!!!!

[Modified by: **Tiger Lily** on August 30, 2008 09:15 AM]

• Options
    I didn't feel like eating while in labour but did get very thirsty, (Sucking on the gas and air too much). I found that I could only manage water. My oh took small bottles of water with him and put a straw in to make it easier for me to suck. For afterwards I took some ready salted crisps (pringles!) that seemed to help me as after i give birth (and it's probably the same for most women) i get the terrible shakes. The salt helped me. The midwife also brought in some toast (really soagy!) but it was lovely and a cup of tea and believe it or not it was the best cup of tea I've ever had!!
  • Options
    I couldn't have eaten a thing despite packing every snack imaginable. I had Diamporphine which made me constantly sick and even the thought of food was enough to make me vomit! The best thing that we took with us was cartons of apple juice and the midwife got a glass of ice cubes which my hubby topped up with water and gave me through a straw. I was so thirsty, which I think was because I took every contraction out on the gas and air. I don't recommend biting the mouthpiece though, it had a horrible taste of rubber image

They brought in coffee and toast afterwards, I was soooo glad of the sugar in the coffee to perk me up as I hadn't eaten for 19 hours but in all honesty, food was the last thing on my mind the whole way through the labour.

Corinna x