Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

stirrups

Hi,
sorry if this is a stupid question, but I am worried about having to use stirrups when I give birth. When I have had smears etc in the past I have never had to use them, I just led on the bed and sort of raised my knees and let them fall open. Can anyone tell me what stirrups are like and where they are on the bed, and how you 'fit' into them, where do your legs go etc? They sound awful and I think it would just help my worries to know a bit more about them?
Thanks
x

Replies

• hi,
    They are on the sides of the bed where bed rails would be. They kind of lift up and are like metal poles with curved shaped padded ends on where you rest your lower legs.
    Ive only ever had to use them once and that was when i was getting stitches after an episiotomy.
    Toni x
  • Hi, you wont have to use these unless you are having a difficult labour and the midwife needs to use forceps or suction to get baby out.
  • hi i had them when i had daniel, he was forceps delivery. they kind of took off the bottom of the bed and then fitted them onto the sides. so that the bed kind of ended at your bum ish... I liked having them as it was something to push off that didn't move. although i had a epidural it only worked on one side and they'd turned it off by the time i was pushing so could feel when to push.. :\)

i'm sure you won't need them though x