Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

YOUNG FIRST TIME MUM2B ABOUT2POP! HELP+ADVICE PLEASE!!

HELLO ANYBODY GOT ANY GOOD ADVICE AS I AM SCARED STIFFLESS AS TO WHAT TO EXPECT, WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
THANX X X X X:\?

Replies

• Hi don't be scared your body is an amazing thing try to relax and let your body do the work, if you have a birth plan be prepared to be flexible with it, listen to the midwives they know what is happening and they can advise you. I have had 3 children and have only used gas and air and a birth pool as pain relief but if that is not for you don't be frightened to say what you want, and most of all remember that after the pain you will have the most wonderful thing in the world your very own little baby, good luck.xxxxxxxx
  • Hello

Im 21 and my first baby is due on 30th August. I have been absolutely crapping myself about the labour. But like a few ppl have said to me its more a fear of the unknown rather than the pain which I would agree with.

Im not bothered now, I just one day came to terms with it, I had a realisation that the baby was coming out whether I like it or not and there is only 1 way out (well 2 but lets not go there with the c-section that scares the b-jesus outta me).

I went to an active labour class at the hospital and the lady said the less tense and worried you are the less it is likely to hurt you so Im trying to stay calm, the thing that is getting to me most now is not knowing when it is going to happen. Ive got loads of stuff to try distract me from the pain everyone keeps laughing at me saying I wont have time but I would rather have too much to do at the hospital than be sat focusing on the pain cos im bored.

Ive got magazines, music, travel games all kinds of stuff.

When are you due? Good luck with it.

Rachel
  • Hi I had my first at 18 and I didnt have a clue what to expect. When those contractions started coming I panicked and tensed up so much I know I increased my pain for sure!I went straight to hospital thinking it could happen anytime,I ended up being in labour for 36 hours!In the end I had gas and air and ended up with an epidural,forceps,ventouse AND episiotomy!

Second time round I knew I had to relax!Well couldnt get any worse than before!I used by birthing ball,and stayed at home for the first 12 hours,baby still took another 9 once we were there!I gave birth to my daughter,all 10lbs of her,totally naturally,not even using gas and air!Though i did have to have another episiotomy unfortunatley.

So stay at home as long as possible, RELAX and breath and good luck!x
  • Hi, i've had a similiar experience. Had my first at 19 and labour lasted 12hrs, didn't know what to expect so asked for an epidural as soon as I felt the first twinge and ended up with an episiotomy to help get my daughter out!- not the greatest experience, however totally forgot about it when I held her in my arms. The 2nd time was very different, started getting twinges at 39 wks but wasn't sure if they were practice contractions, done lots of breathing and tried to relax in between and when I felt things were getting a bit sorer made my way to hopspital where I was told I was 9cm dilated!! I was delighted although felt I couldn't do the last bit on my own so begged for a 'Mobile epidural' which I believe is the greatest invention ever! I was free from the pain of contractions and could walk around until my son was born about 3 hrs later- great experience!!!! In fact I'm praying for the same this time and will certainly be opting for a mobile epidural again. As other people have said everyone is different but I think the key is to remain focussed and relaxed.x
  • babe remember theres no prize for being brave if u need pain relief ask for it. i was so stupiud with my first i kept asking if i was being a wuss! my mum was with me n kept saying if it hurts too much take the pain relief as u wont deliver if ur too knackered from the contractions. i can say that now ive had my third its not as bad as i thought it would be.. my 2cnd was 10lb 11oz n i had her withjust gas n air and no stitches! after that i still wanted a third !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i hope u feel less scared hun i know its hard to do but relax