Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

happy positive birth stories please...

I'm 34 weeks with my first, hoping to get through labour on gas n air, defo no epidurals..!! I've had a fab pregnancy so far, I'm going to yoga, reflexology and aqua natal to prepare myself for the birth, trying to be positive, can any1 share psitive birth experiences please? or tips? I'm sure we'd all appreciate it as oppose to horror stories..
Marie..xxx;\)

Replies

• hi. i used a birthing ball in my last labour, which was brilliant. give it a try. and all my birth experiences have been great. i am on baby no5 and can honestly say that all of my births have been brilliant. good luck.xx
  • I agree with pen. go with the flow dont listen to the horror stories. Ive just given birth to my fourth and they were never as bad as i thought they would be and the end result is definitely worth it.
  • Hi, I gave birth to my first baby 6 weeks ago and it was the most amazing and special experience of my life. I had been told many horror stories from friends and work collegues and although the contractions were painful once Madelyn was placed in my arms the pain was all forgotten and I would do it all again.
    My entire labour only lasted 11 hours and I was in active labour for about 4 hours. I did have some pethidine which I said I wasn't going to as the contractions came on so quickly and there was no build up. I only moved on to gas and air when I started pushing. I spent the whole of my abour kneeling on the bed and I'm sure this was the reason that I didn't need any stictches. I also tried to keep fit during pregnancy by walking and swimming and I'm sure this helped during the labour and getting back into shape after the birth. Godd luck! Giving birth is truly one of the best experiences.
  • HIYA, I GAVE BIRTH TO HARRY ON TUESDAY AND WAS IN LABOUR FOR 7 AND A HALF HOURS IN TOTAL WITH NO PAIN RELIEF. i DIDN'T GO TO ANY ANTENATAL CLASSES BUT i WOULD RECOMMEND YOU CONCENTRATE ON YOUR BREATHING AND TAKE LONG DEAP BREATHS AND BREATH THROUGH YOUR CONTRACTIONS. i WAS TOTALLY FOCUSED ON MY BREATHING AND HAD MY EYES CLOSED FOR MOST OF MY LABOUR LOL. mY OTHER HALF THOUGHT i WAS IGNORING HIM (BLESS HIM) BUT YOU KIND OF GO INTO YOUR OWN WORLD. gOOD LUCK WITH YOUR LABOUR YOU'LL BE FINE, i WENT HOME THE SAME DAY AND MOTHERHOOD IS THE BEST THING SLEEPLESS NIGHTS AND ALL!!!!!!!
    PS ENJOY YOUR SLEEP WHILST YOU STILL CAN image
  • i would like a water birth to help with natural birth. hope i get it, as for bloody sleep i dont get any now would be glad of an actual reason to be awake instead of lying there listening to OH snoring like a pig!!!! xxx
  • I've had two fantastic pregnancies and births. Both births were quick and I only had gas and air. The only thing with my second was that it took 3 hours to deliver my placenta so I had to lay on the bed the whole time and I just wanted to get up and run about! I didnt once think about a birth plan or what it would be like either time throughout the pregnancies it just happens when and how it wants to so don't worry yourself or think to many things, stayin laid back with an open mind is the best thing I did
    xx
  • Hi In hindsight I should of had a water birth because when I had to leave for the hospital I didn't want to get out of my bath at home. I had a wonderful birth with no pain relief at all but I was only in labour for 4.5 hours. My husband and I still talk about birth and relive it over and over. Amazing and wonderful is all I can say. I used hypnobirthing which I found very helpful. Good luck and remember that if you wnat to change your mind about how you mamage labour when you're in the middle of it- that's fine. that was my philosphy. You never know how you're going to feel. I can see why some women find childbirth addictive!!
  • the bath is fantastic for easing pain, unfortunately my hospital doesnt have a birthing pool but if you have access to 1 i would def recommend water birth, and the most positive thing to remember is the gorgeous little baby you get at the end def worth every pain. and keep an open mind about pain relief. good luck hope it all goes the way you plan.
  • Gas n Air is amazing! My birth wasnt as planned and was difficult which isnt positive, but I would do it again tomorrow. Looking back i think it was an amazing experience and i am so lucky to have experienced it and have two healthy boys. good luck with your birth hope it all goes to plan, whatever happens it is all definatly worthwhile! x
  • hi i'm new to this,i was 37 weeks when i went into labour with my first and i wanted to use just gas'n' air but my blood pressure was high and was put on the epidural,not has bad as people say.i really did enjoy the labour,strange i know.my water broke at nine in the morning and anya was born 9.44 at night. she was 3 weeks early.best thing i can say,don't panic and please make sure your packed.
    anya is 13 weeks now and i enjoy every bit with her.
    good luck when he/she arrives
  • Hi, I gave birth 5 weeks and 4 days ago to my first baby, Harrison and was in labour approx 18 hours, had codene, tens machine (which i found next to useless), 2 doses of pethidine and an epidural, and gas and air all the way trhough. I initially said I was going to manage on gas and air, wishful thinking. Once i had the epidural it was brilliant, felt no pain, only a slight pressure on my lower back and in my bum, I would definately advise epidural.
    Good Luck :\)

xx
  • Thanks mummies, 5 wks n 4 days left, I hope to write my own positive birthing experience on here!
    Thinking of trying hypno birthing? anyone tried it..?
    Marie...xx
  • Hi, ive got 7 days to go and cant wait to hold my baby in my arms but getting quite scared bout the actual birth as im not very good with pain but i might just surprise myself, thanks for all your positive messages on here helpin people like us first timers.
    at the end of the day it cant be that bad or we wouldnt keep doin it would we?!!?
  • Hi there! I think I said on earlier post that I did hypnobirthing. I found it really helpful in managing the pain. I did it completely natural. I would reccomend it. I did the cd's but I also had sessions with a hypnotherapist. The Monglan method seems to be the most popular. Good luck!
  • this is all great!!

my due date is this sunday so five days to go

I cannot wait for my little one to arrive but have been put off by horror stories so thanks to everyone and well done to you all!!!

xx
  • gas and air is amazing I used that and a birthing ball also had lots of baths in the hospital. Amazing experiance Im the biggest wimp in the world but I managed with just gas and air even with that suction thing and forceps and stiches. Think I had it in my head that I wasn't gonna have anything else which helped although the midwifes were telling me to have other stuff really didn't think I needed to.even fell asleep through a bit of it. Had my little girl 13 weeks ago and we are going to try 4 number 2 in jan. I wanted to before that but dont want to be sick over alannahs first christmas or birthday. Amazing experiance. good luck but sure you wont need it
  • Hiya image

With my first I had classical music playing (I found that really helped to relax me and oh!) I had gas and air and Meptoid (sp?) (which made me very sick!) and she was born in 4 hrs 45mins. I had to have stiches but it was ok. soon after I was sat up drinking a cuppa and eating toast at about 4 in the morning!! lol

My next is due on 4th june so I'm hoping she will be just as fast if not faster and I want to try a waterbirth this time image

Hope that everything goes well with you.
  • My reflexologist/aromatherapist has suggested burning lavender oil at home when u first go into labour, helps with stress n calms nerves, also to mix it with almond oil n rub it into base of ur back when in labour, helps with muscle pain, get hubby to massage it in..
    Might try hypnobirthing next, I've got the book n cd so I'll let u all know how I get on, I'm due 5 weeks today.. Lovely to hear all ur positive birth stories, keep the tips coming in as i'm sure, Like me, being a first time Mum, we'll all give anything a go that may help us..!!!
    Marie..xx
  • hi with my first son i had an epridural and found that really good, but with my second son i had no pain relif what so ever i was only in labour 3 hours and i think what really helped me was my breathing and walking around. it was a wonderfull birth i really enjoyed it.
  • Hi ya I used a tens machines in both my previous labours which did help and i didn't realise i was in labour as i felt like i had really bad backache and what felt like bad period pains. I remember ringing my mum and asking her what labour felt like she told me to go to hospital and so i did good job because i never made it out of the side room where i was booked in. I had gas and air and pethedine but gave birth to fast for the pethedine to work. Overall it was a 5hr labour i did tear but thanks to the injection did't feel this much. I was more in control with my second birth, i still used a tens machine had similar pains as before but still wasn't sure so i rang the hospital and went in. although she did't think i needed it, i insisted to the midwife i did need the gas and air. I also was inhaling lavender on a tissue, When she examined me i was 7cm dillated to her suprise, i had to wait for my blood test to come back as they wouldn't let me in the home from home unit as i was anemic. By the time it did it was normal thank god i needed to push. So with my husband sounding awful piped up there was no way i was getting in a wheelchair ( i cannot stay still in pain) and there was no way i was giving birth in that same room again we all went as fast as poss down the corridor to the room and i made it on the bed and then gave birth. Overall it was a 3hr labour and i was very grateful to my husband who did his best to convey what i wanted. The only thing was i was sick a little bit afterwards. I think because i was active and kept walking until i physically couldn't helped and i kept thinking each contraction ment it was closer to being over and meeting my baby. i had the injection to speed up the placenta as well and hardly felt a thing.
    Everyones experience is different and remember if you aren't sure about anything don't be afraid to ask, concentrate on breathing through the contractions and keep walking if you can gravity helps! do what is right for you. I gave birth at 11:25am and was back at home with a cup of tea at 6:30pm, my little boy thought we'd popped out literally for the baby and then came back. it was a surreal experience but a postive and happy one. the pain does become a distant memory i know that sounds hard to believe but you'll forget it when you see your baby.:\):\):\)