Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

what do i need? -hospital bag

hi girls
just wondering if any one can tell me the essentials that i need to take to the hospital, as my mw has told me to get it ready just in case and i dont have a clue what i actually need and do i put the baby things and my things in same bag or is easier if its all seperate, wud apreciate it if you cud give me some advice as this is my first baby. thank you

hannah xx
35+3

Replies

• Options
    Hi Hannah there is a list on here underneathwhere it counts down how many days you have left i have used this it gives he essentials hope ths helpsimage
    Lin 37+6
  • Options
    i would recomend you have a seperate bag for the labour or at least put the important stuff at the top. you will probably be advised to take a few sleepsuits for baby but only have one near the top otherwise you wont be able to find things like your underwear for straight after the birth.
  • Options
    hiya, thanks for your help! think ill pack a sep bag for jus afta labour with a few essentials in, that ill need straight away. thnk u x
  • Options
    i took several nighties, mini shampoo & conditioner, mini bodywash, toothbrush and mini toothpaste, thin dressing gown, lots of cheap pairs of knickers in the size bigger than normal for comfort and also some 2/3 sizes bigger in case i had a c-sec, i couldn't stand the thought of actual diposable knickers! i also took the old fashioned big thick maternity pads they sell in mothercare but to be honest they didnt do me much good, i found night time sanitary towels much better. i also took feminine cleansing wipes, freshelle possibly? but these were a bit strong for me so i think unscented babywipes would be better. it has to be really hot on the wards, so maybe take a spray bottle of water or similar, and mini fan with spare batteries. i took lotsa spare change like they suggest, but the computer/tv/phone in my cubicle bit asked for credit/debit card payents instead. oh and biscuits- i was so hungry the few days i was in hospital, so any snacky things and drinks u want would be gret, theyprovide water but i got my fiance to bring me loadsa juices cos i was so thirsty! i also took a set of clothes for goin home in. as for my babies bag, i packed bodysuits, sleepsuits, scratch mitts, a couple of hats (3 would be ideal i think as they can get a little dirty with dried blood etc.,) nappies, cotton wool and unscented babywipes. (i didnt want to use the wipes but the meconium poo was so hard to get off it would've been almost impossible with cotton wool!)hope this helps a little, not sure if i've remembered everything but if i think of anything else i'll let u know! good luck xx image
  • Options
    P.S: its easier with 2 or more bags- 1 for labour bits n bobs, 1 for after for you, and one for your baby. and despite what they say about "1 small bag", its not practical and they dont turn u or your bags away if u have more! oh and dont worry too much if u forget stuff, ur partner or hoever's with u should be able to pick up any bits u might need. xx
  • Options
    I agree with Becci (good list!!) I found it good to have warm socks and/or slippers for being up and about at night. A good mag or book can help if you're in for a few days - either for slow times in labour (if you can stomach it) or in the early days when LO sleeps a lot (tho i would say sleep while you can!!!)
  • Options
    hey thanks for the help! had a try at packing bags earlia (2 small to average size hold alls) but couldnt fit everyfing in it, so think i need to get 1 more so i can fit it all in without packing really tightly. didnt realise the amount of fings id need x