Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

castor oil

any views on taking this?? im eager to get this child out!! xx

Replies

• Options
    Take it if you want the worst tummy cramps you'll ever have as well as having a severe dose of diahrea (sp)!! It did nothing for me and I tried it twice!
  • Options
    dont try it ha! i did couple weeks ago, made me have severe runs sore tum, and here i am overdue!
  • Options
    hey!

I was told by several people, including my midwife that taking castor oil can be dangerous for baby and is now not advised to induce labour.

I found that fresh pineapple chunks, several curries and very long walks worked a treat, i only did these 2 days before my due date and went into labour 1 day overdue. I advised my mate of these and she had her little boy on her due date.

Why not try these?xxx
  • Options
    I agree totally that baby will come when ready..... but here is a funny story that is completely true. A week or so ago we were round at my mums talking about the pineapple tip (which i had never heard of) and someone said that years ago people used to take castor oil, my brothers girlfriend sat quiet for a moment then said "isnt that what you put in cars" She meant Castrol Oil. Can you imagine the hysteria it brought, i nearly when into prem labour with laughing so much, Can you also imagine how our body engines would run on that lol!!

Knp xx
  • Options
    HI I think it depends on when you want to take it. I would say never to take it before your due date but having gone very overdue with my 1st 2 (14 days then 11) I so desperately wanted to have a home water birth with my 3rd. I did a lot of reading up and spent hours trying to decide whether to take it or not (I'm a big worrier and also needed a safe delivery of my baby - after 2 wonderful boys then 2 miscarriages I knew I was having a much wanted girl). I tried everything then some and in the end took 10 mls of castor oil (1/2 the amount I'd been told to take so thought it was a compromise!) on the Sunday midday. It did empty me out (but I was glad as I didn't want to poo in the pool!) and I had contractions that evening. Then they stopped, I had the best nights sleep of my entire pregnancy and she was born the following day.
    Just bear in mind that if you do decide to take it you will probably have to get someone else to get it for you as they won't sell it to pregnant women. I had already warned my hubby and the pharmacist actually asked who it was for - he said it was for his mum! xx
  • Options
    Hi,
    I tried this 3 times as was going crazy being so overdue (13 days in the end, which ended with an induction).
    I have known several people that its worked for so thought i'd give it a try.
    It obviously didn't work for me but it wasn't that bad.
    I drank it with a small amount of orange juice and had some kitchen towel ready to wipe my mouth, esp teeth after, as it leaves a horrible 'vaseline' type texture on your teeth.
    After around 4 hours it gave me diarreah but nothing too bad.
    If you plan to take it then make sure you do it on a day that you can stay at home!
    My baby was born nearly 4 weeks ago and I still have severe constipation from after the birth and am considering taking it again, just to see if it will help get things moving!
    Good luck, let us know how you get on xx