Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

after giving birth..

might be tmi but i wish someone would of told me this before i gave birth so here goes...

after you have given birth, the midwives in the hospital like you to eat something, and have a wee before they even consider sending you home.

i wouldnt wee because i was so scared it would hurt.. they told me if i didnt go i could catch a urine infection.. so i sat on the beeday and poured cold water on myself... DONT do it!! it stings like crazy!!!!!!!

when you need to wee.... use WARM water.... i used to stand in the shower while i weed... made it so much easier!!!

so there ya go... i hope by posting this at least 1 person will benefit from it!! :\)

Replies

• And if the bay grazes you on the way out hold a tissue over the grazed bit otherwise that stings too!
  • there must be some more tips for those who are preparing themselves for birth!?

come on girls! what would you like to have been given tips on!?
  • Omg this is making me think more to having a c section again lol,

• buy mountains of maternity pads, and if you can, keep the lady garden as short as possible to prevent sticking to pad! quite painful!
  • and if you have a cut or graze try bathing in salt water, it dosnt sting at all, its very soothing and helps promote healing and prevent infection. x
  • I'm g/c from ttc but couldn't r&r!
    This may sound disgusting but I recommend you do your first poo in a shallow warm bath - my god it was like giving birth again, the pain! Disgusting and horrid yes but most definately needed! LOL.
    Also have loads of breast pads to hand if you don't intend on breast feeding - one little wipe on full boobys is enough to squirt. TMI sorry! ;0) xx
  • lol, yeh i remember the first poo.. or not.. i was so scared about it i made myself constipated for a month!! image

i was taking 2 paracetmol and an ibuprofen every 4 hours... without fail. i think i nearly overdosed at one point! damn sleep deprivation!
  • Arnica helps healing
  • I had a 2nd degree tear, and my midwife recommended a few drops of lavender oil in a warm bath. It was very soothing, and healed really well!
  • Take flip flops to hospital with you, so you can wear them in the manky hospital showers!

Take tonnes of maternity pads and clean knickers. My waters kept leaking out with every contraction so I got through a lot of both!!

xx
  • LEAN FORWARD WHEN PEEING!!

Honestly... lean as far forward as you can.. basically put your hands on the floor!! It stops the wee touching any of your bits at all so no stinging!!

I really wish someone had told me this from the start.. i didnt start doing it till about day 3 when my mum arrived and told me.. gosh it was so nice to pee and it not sting my stitches!!

Also buy some Badidas for the bath.. its an expensive bubble bath but so soothing!! You can get it in Boots
    xx
  • ive had 2 babies... expecting my 3rd in 2 weeks!!
    ive been lucky enough not to need stitches. however with my 1st ds it really hurt to go for a wee!!! i didnt bother mentioning this to anyone as i thought.... ive just had a baby! what do i expect!!?
    i was a bit silly and tried not to drink too much so i had to go to the toilet less often.
    3 days later, i had bad tummy pains... they got worse... the only way i could describe it was like a contraction! only the pain didnt come and go like a contraction does it just stayed and got worse and worse.
    i got rushed into hospital.... turns out i had a water infection!
    please girls.... if you have had stitches or not and it hurts to have a wee, at least tell someone!! dont do what i did and just assume its normal as you have just given birth! i wouldnt wish what i went through on anyone.
    xxx
  • I have a 2nd degree tear from my birth last weeks (baby took his time crowning, but then not just his head but the whole lot of him flew out!) and I was told to go for a wee straight after having the stitches done as the anasthetic still works then!!!
    I also recommend leaning forward and pressing a maternity pad over the stitched area.
    Try and do your pelvic floor exercises asap as that gets the blood flowing down there which helps the healing process!

I was lucky and had a bit of an upset tummy so going for a no2 wasn't traumatic at all image

xxx
  • I agree, salt water baths really helped me heal quicklly with my first, I had stitches one side and a huge graze the other side. My nan gave me some incontinence pads which i laughed at the time but they were great and better than any maternity pads!! Warm water when peeing. Maternity mats or childrens bed wetting mats for your bed in case of any leakages...also good for if you waters break in the car...
    Disposable knickers are great for the first week or so as you can throw the lot away...
    Nipple cream and shields a must of you want to try breastfeeding...
    And a HUGE bar of your favourite chocolate!! come on you deserve it after all of that and forget trying to loose that baby fat straight away!!! lol!!!

Helen - baby no 2 due tomorrow!!
  • H2525 I totally agree about the incontinence pads although I used Tena lady incontinence PANTS - they were hilarious - like adult nappies - but totally brilliant as no leaks and felt very secure. Don't need to worry about normal pants - just the big nappies - hehe!!
  • Big cheap pants from matalan or primark in a bigger size than you noramlly wear for comfort and to hold your tummy in too, instead of disposable ones, they're uncomfy and too tight around the leg hole!!! Just having my 1st af so the sexy pants have come in handy!!!
  • weird question from a first timer.... is it best to have lady hair down there or to get it removed? Does it cause any problems?
  • I've heard people say it hurts if the hair is long and gets caught but got to be honest, mine wasn't particularly well-groomed either time I gave birth and what with the contractions and the crowning it was the last thing on my mind.
  • yeh i didnt have any problem with hair either really! they say to try and keep it short to stop blood sticking to it but tbh it will be the same as having a heavy period so whatever suits you!
  • take 2 senna tablets the night efore you go to bed after giving birth it really does help that first poo.
    always have a drink to hand when breastfeedingf-it really is thirsty work!
    tell everyone-no visitors til u call them, all i wanted to do was cuddle my children but both times i had a housefull and not 1 person offered to get ,me anything to eat and i was too worried to stand up incase of leaks with a room full of people so i was really hungry!!!
    as already said buy lots of maternity pads!
    ask hospital for some of the large inco pads they put on the bed, thery are brilliant to put on bathroom floor when getting in and out of bath when still bleeding.
    take reenies into hospital bag as they dont have them and will give u horrible gavasgon if u have heartburn and it tastes awful!!