Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

membrane sweep?

do membrane sweeps actually work? ive been booked in for two, and my baby has a high head so will it work?xx

Replies

• Hi, not too sure I had one and the midwife seemed confident that labour would start, so just to be on the safe side I had raspberry leaf tea, lots of sex and bumpy car rides, still had to be induced. I think they just come when they want to
  • I had 2 membrane sweeps & went into labour 2 days after the 2nd. They certainly cant do any harm. I agree though, I think the baby will come when it wants 2 x
  • hi. it definately doesn't hurt to have them done and sometimes it can help to start things, but with your babies head being high it might take a little time to get in to labour. xxxx
  • no this is my first baby! can i still go into labour early or around my due date if head remains high? it isnt even slightly engaged, u can still wobble it around lol.xx
  • Hi linsay,

I had 2 membrane sweeps but they didnt work for me!! I do know though that your baby dosent have to be engaged before labour as i do know somebody who was 38 weeks and she went for her MW check on a thursday and the baby was still free and she went into early labour on the saturday and had a 5 hr labour so i wouldnt worry too much. Hopefully your cervix will be ready when you go for your sweep.

Good Luck Kirsty x
  • ah really, thats good news. thats exactly what i wanted to know whether u can still go into labour with the head free. well my midwife is going to do the sweep at my house but they said they dnt like t do them at home if the head is not engaged. got one booked in at hospital for the 23rd too.xx
  • Hi lynsey, just a quick note 2 let you know that with my 1st baby her head didnt engage until I went into labour, which was 4 days after my due date (after 2 membrane sweeps) Good luck x
  • awww thanx thats helped loads, so it doesnt necessarily mean ill have to b induced if head doesnt engage. thats all i was worried about, the thought of having to wait another 3 weeks nearly t meet my baby lol xx
  • awww thanx thats helped loads, so it doesnt necessarily mean ill have to b induced if head doesnt engage. thats all i was worried about, the thought of having to wait another 3 weeks nearly t meet my baby lol xx