Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

My birth Story - it is the best thing you will ever do girls

On Monday 1st September on my due date i gave birth to Emmie-Rose at 00.42am. She weighed a healthy 7lb 9oz and she's gorgeous.

I woke at 2am Saturday morning with a mild wave of pain coming and going. I managed to get back to sleep until 7am. I got up and still had these regular waves of cramps. I went to the loo and had a show. I was so excited i knew it was starting!!!

I got on the birthing ball straight away and kept as mobile as i could. I stayed at home and timed the contractions. They were regular and definately getting stronger but not enough to make a move for the hospital.

By Saturday afternoon they had stopped being so regular so me and my dad went for a walk! My mum was so determined to kick start the contractions again she took me for a spin in the car over as many bumps as she could find!!! ouch that was painful but it worked!

It carried on all Saturday day and in to the evening and by about 7pm we put the tens machine on and i tried to get some rest in bed as i knew i was in for a long night. At midnight we drove to my mums as she lives closer to the hospital and the thought of having lots of contractions in the car if they got more frequent was not something i wanted to wait for!

We spent the entire night up with me having contractions - at this point i thought they were painful (little did i know how much worse they get!), i had co-codamol to take the edge off the height of the contraction. I rang the hospital but because they still wernt coming regular enough and i was happy at home they told me to stay put.

We stayed up ALL night. Sunday morning came and i'd managed to have 3 hours in bed with the tens machine whacked up during contractions. At 11am I made my way to the hospital where I was examined and told I wasn't even 1cm dilated but my cervix had thinned so it was paper thin, which was good. I had a stretch and sweep and with that the contractions came thick and fast. My waters still hadn't broken by this point. My wonderful midwife told me she would re-examine me in a few hours. Up until then though, I had to manage without gas and air.

When I was re-examined I was finally 3cm dilated and given gas and air, which was great (they should sell that stuff in bars!!). I can't believe it but I actually managed to stomach 2 hospital meals during those contractions! Gas and air pipe by my side, food tray in front of me! What a sight!

After about 8pm it all seems to get pretty blurry as I was in a lot of pain by then and the contractions were pretty intense. I couldn't even feel what effect the tens machine was having on me and I didn't want pethadine or an epidural as I didn't want to miss the end by being knocked out on drugs! It got to around 11pm and by this point I had being having contractions for 36 hours and I was knackered! I was examined again to find I was 7cm dilated and the urge to push was coming on strong. It was so hard to stop that urge but at least I knew the end was in sight. Si (my fianc????) says at this point I looked like I was possessed as I was just crawling up the walls in my hospital room!

At about midnight I needed to push and the midwife told me to do what I felt I needed to do. I was given a birthing stool and immediately the pains I'd started to get in my hips during contractions were taken away in this position. I was finally pushing and felt the end was coming soon. Finally at 00.42am on 1st September, exactly 40 weeks after the conception date, Emmie Rose was born weighing 7lb 9oz. It was the most amazing feeling in the world and its so strange that as soon as she was born the pain immediately stopped and I felt completely awake and normal.
What an experience pregnancy is, truly mind blowing and totally amazing!
Good luck to all you mummy's to be - enjoy every second of it, as scary as it can be it is so empowering and you will be so proud of yourself afterwards!
Sam xxx

Replies

• Really lovely story to read hun. Mason is 3 months old and I still remember ever single detail of my labour as it was the proudest day of my life.

Wishing you and your LO all the very best. x x x
  • what a lovely story and really reassuring! Big congrats! x
  • What a brilliant birth story. I am ttc my 2nd after an emcs due to pre eclampsia for my first. Your birth story has made me think about VBAC(if I ever get there!) rather than an elective section.
    Enjoy your little Emmie Rose.xx