Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Are second labours faster?

hi there, my firt labour wasn't a great experience at all 36 hours and pushed for 12 with no luck so after the 35 hour they finally let me have my epidural but had to have an episiotomy and forceps delivery then tons of stiches after so thought to myself that the second couldn't be much worse and i was right my waters broke at 10 in morning didn't have no pain till after 5 in evening went to hospital for quart to 7 and was told i was 9cm! and as soon as i was examined i was birthing and i had my little girl with just gas and air as no time for an epidural at quart to 8 so all done in a day and was a great experience really enjoyed my second both hope you do to!

Replies

• were your second babies bigger than the first? (thats what they say!!)
    wasn't true for mine though! my first was 8lb 2 and the second was only 6lb 13 1/2!
    well the first was 2 weeks late and the second a week early so maybe they would have!
    by the way i was in labour 6 hours with first and then 3 hours second time round (although having contractions for about 10 hours before established labour!)
  • hi there i am due in 3 wks and also have spd which also had in 1st pregnancy but much worse with this 1. had awful labour with daughter so hoping this 1 will be much better. i have started having accupuncture had 2 sessions so far and it does feel easier already not in half as much pain come the evening time where as b4 i couldnt even get up off the sofa. is quite expensive but anything is worth a go when ur in so much pain . they also reckon the accupuncture helps get you ready for labour and that it will not be as bad as b4. heres hoping

[Modified by: jackass on March 20, 2008 09:40 PM]
  • Have to say in my experience my first labour was 15 hours my second 3 hours but this time i moved round alot more and kept upright and knelt up to give birth so much easier!
  • my first one took 20 hours and he was 8Ib 9, i had an epidural which i recommend too and a couple of top ups as well.. lol
    i almost had to have a c-section as the baby was quite big and everyone had said that the second baby was usually bigger so i was really panicky and convinced myself that i would definately by having a c-section the second time.

luckily my second was only 7Ib 8, and the labour was only 3 hours. i was in hospital for 2 and a half hours before he was born but i still didn't have time for any pain relief and although it and hurt and i could feel everything, i felt the recovery was much better this time round and i was back on my feet much quicker and got back to normal sooner.
  • is the second time around faster then the first time.
  • I am dreading the birth second time round too! My first was quite quick (about 3hrs once the waters were broken for me)....but still not reassured!!
  • God i hope this labour is shorter, i was getting contractions for 4 days, and they varied between 20mins apart and 3mins apart, got worse on th sunday and was in the hospital form 11.30pm on the saturday night till 9.43am on th sunday when he popped out, they wouldnt let me go in any sooner than my contractions were 1min30 apart so im hoping this time will be shorter as i spent 5hours in the hospital bath and then 4 hours standing giving birth

xxx
  • I am already worrying about my second labour and only 8 + 3. My first labour was 1hr 40mins and such a shock, no time for pain relief. Worried about this one being faster. Hoping for a home birth because I am worried about getting to the hospital in time but had a lot of problems with SPD and high blood pressure last time so not sure what they will suggest.
  • my first was 4 hours 2nd 5 an a half hours and third was 2 hours long so this one should be nice and quick
  • my first was 2 hours long i hope i can make it to the hospital in time i live an hour away from my hospital and my partner does not drive and the taxis round here take forever to get to you i want a hospital birth but i have also sorted thing out for a home birth just incase i cant make it to the hospital in time but im hoping i can because i want to be able to have the pain relife i want
  • 1st baby was 8lbs 9oz (10 days overcooked), established labour was just under 3 hours but 2 hours of that was pushing (ow!). I was on syntocinon drip.

2nd baby was 8lbs 12.5 oz and 3 days past due date...dunno how long my established labour was but from needing to push she was born in 7 mins and it was soooo easy compared to first time. I had my first contraction at 3.30am, got to hospital at 6.30am and had her at 8.07am.

Just had gas and air with both of them.

Good luck everyone who's having a baby soon, hope all goes well.

xxx
  • mine was really fast but then again my first was only 3 and half hours.

my second was 2 and half hours from first twinge to giving birth, they popped my waters at 10:32 and i had him at 10:33, also with your second your body does most of the work when it comes to pushing because it has already been through it before.

• My first labour was 7 hours which people keep telling me was fast for a first labour..... not bloody fast when you're the one in labour!!! Second labour - well it was fast very fast. Six day late 7am alarm woke me up as i walked to the loo my waters broke and i felt the baby's head drop, shouted my husband who phoned an ambulance the call was timed as 7.13am according to the woman on the phone who had to guide my husband through the delivery and my son arrived at 7.34am!!! The ambulance didn't arrive till 7.50am nearly 40mins after the call was made - good job i wasn't having a heart attack! They got lost as our address didn't show up on there sat nav!! It took them nearly as long to find there scissors to cut the cord!!! And when the on call midwife arrived an hour after he was born she said i was the forth person she'd sen in 3wks who had delivered in the same way so yes i'm guessing second ones do come faster. My god when i have another i'm booking into hospital the week before hahahahaha x
  • hi hayley, everyone is different my second labour was longer and alot more painful than my first. but some people i have spoke to have told me theres was quicker but every baby and labour are different but i hope it all goes well for you.
  • my 1st was 17 hrs had to be put on drip and be cut and vontouse 6lb 1oz my 2nd was 1hr 55 mins with both had gas n air and with 2nd pain was terrifying 7lb 3oz im due with my 3rd in 7 weeks and my spd is killing me the point that my lady bits feel very bruised and that my pelvis is split in ten bits and dragging on the floor and im very snappy in very bad pain and scared to have sex
  • Its saposed to be quicker the second time round but mine trebled
    justin my first was just 3hours and 45 mins
    Maya my second was 11hours 55 mins
  • Hi my first labour (with my son whos now 23 months)was 48 hours long. I had to have my waters broke,a drip and i was in total agony so i opted for an epidural.
    I had my daughter 13 days ago and i got to the hospital 1hr 34mins before she was born and i only had gas and air. I was alot more relaxed with my second and felt alot better after the birth x x
  • Yes, I seem to have followed the trend when it comes to labour. First one lasted 6 hours with epidural, second one 2 hours, no pain relief (no time as I arrived at the hospital to push ! Anyway I have no regrets as I found that I felt much more comfortable after my second birth than my first (the epidural made me feel really tired afterwards and sick too). This time round I really don't want to make a plan. Whatever happens, whether he is born at home or at hospital does not really bother me! (although hubby is terrified of the home birth thing!) If I don't have time to make it to hospital (and there is a serious chance it might happen!) then the midwife is happy to come to me, so I've prepared for both scenari! But my friend had 2 really easy labours and a caesarian the 3rd time round, so who knows!
    I think the important thing is not to get too:\) stressed about it as it just makes things worse...Good luck to us all!
    Regards, Lola xxx
  • yeah im hoping for a quicker one this time too!!! i was in labour a total of 40 hours last time and dilated really slowly and was pushing for hours about 3 i think! it was horrendous. if its half the time this time i will be happy! xx
  • Hi, my first labour was 15 hours and was an easy labour and birth, in fact a good pregnancy all round really. I'm due in 3 weeks with my second and this pregnancy has been a nightmare from the word go!!! I'm suffering with spd and it didn't help that afew weeks back some stupid man went up the back of my car when i was in a queue of traffic. I can not wait to have my baby, the docs and midwives want to poss induce me early because of the pain. They say that your second labour is roughly half your first but knowing my luck it will be twice as long.lol.