Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Are inductions always awful?

Hi everyone, I'm considering an induction at 37 weeks cos of too much fluid. I've heard some real horror stories about inductions and am wondering if it has to be a bad experience. Has anyone had an induction that wasn't too far off a natural birth? Can I still have a birth with little intervention even though it's induced? Thanks in advance, I'm a bit scared!

Replies

• Hiya,
    I was induced with my first and third and other than having to be monitored it felt no different to my "normal" birth. i'm due in a few days and would love to go ito labour natrually but if not my midwife said i can request to be monitored on and off rather than constant as that was the only down side, feeling tied to the bed. My last labour was only 5 hours and i didn't feel the pain was any worse than with my middle one. Everybody has a differnt experience but i'm sure if you end up being induced you'll be fine hun xxxx
  • I'm going to get booked in for an induction on Monday and I'm so scared!!! I've heard inductions are way more painful than natural births and can be twice ads long - its keeping me awake at night - I'm praying its not the case and I'm trying to keep an open mind - this is our first baby and I'm going to try and take each step as it comes.x
  • Hi I was induced with me ist and third. Ist as I had meconium in my waters so was put on a drip to induce labour. Third because I was two weeks over and even after two sweeps LO wasn't ready for coming so had anew type of pessarie and then was put on a drip whilst on labour ward. Can't say that these births were harder than number two which occurred naturally. I did not need any intervention at the pushing stage and didn't suffer from large tears. Good luck don't worry
  • Inductions AREN'T always awful - I had one and it was fine!
    Meanwhile, you can read more about inductions here: http://www.babyexpert.com/Birth/Induction-~-what-happens^/v1
    Web Ed
  • I was induced with 1st and 2nd baby, and went into labour naturally with my 3rd. I had relatively straight forward labour/birth whether induced or not. I know it can lead to more intervention in some cases, but I did not need any. I had an epidural 1st time as it was a long labour and I was very tired. 2nd and 3rd time I used gas and air for a short while just before pushing.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.
  • Hi all

I had an induction with my lo at 41 weeks and my labour only lasted 3 hours!! I was given an internal pill but to be honest the midwife's thought I was in for a long labour!! Nope not me must have had some sort of reaction to the drug.

Considering having an induction again at end of pregnancy - if little man doesn't decide to make an appearance before then.
  • Hiya,
    I had an induction with my 2nd and the labour was a lot shorter and less complicated than my 1st which ended up in a forcep delivery (the first one i mean which i went into labour naturally) my 2nd i was induced due to server spd and my labour lasted 3 hours from when my waters broke to lo being born and only used gas and air. So in my case it was less complicated when i was induced than when i wasn't
    good luck
  • I didn't have any problems being induced image
  • hi i had natural labour with my first, started at midnight then went very slowly untilabout 6pm, then went into hospitaland had dd1 at 10.23pm.
    my second i was induced with gel (it was 5 years ago) at 7pm started heavycontractions at 4am and had dd2 at 6.10am.
    with the third (3 months ago) I was induced at 6.30pm, they put a tab and string thing in, contractionsstarted within half an hour and were so fast that the tab had to be removed at 9pm. I had dd3 at 3.30am.
    i dont think there was any difference with the pain except that for dd3 i had meptid which is far better than pethadine.
    both the inductions were quick though, which isn't the same for everyone, it depends on your body, i went from 3 cm to live birth in less than half an hour with all 3, the lady opposite me had thesmae induction twice as it didn't work for her then she had her warters broken.
    its not allbad though x