Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

To sweep or not to sweep?!!

Hiya, I've been offered a sweep for tomorrow, 1 day before my due date, but I'm reluctant to have it done. Mainly cos of my awful midwife!

Did having a sweep really work for anyone? Or is it just a painful waste of time?

xxx

Replies

• hi hun,i had a sweep when i went overdue with my daughter and went into labour 2 days later.Dnt know if it worked or was just coincidence but i can say that i didnt find it painful,hope i've helped hanna x
  • Hi I had a couple of sweeps with my 1st as I was desperate for a home water birth but ended up having to be induced when I was 14 days over. I couldn't have a sweep with my 2nd due to low lying placenta but then had one at 38 weeks with my 3rd then another when I was due and finally had my home water birth when my daughter was 4 days over. I don't know if if works but I will always try anything not to have to be induced (even though I still was with my 1st I would still try it). It was a bit painful but not too bad and still worth it. xx
  • Hi I had a couple of sweeps with my 1st as I was desperate for a home water birth but ended up having to be induced when I was 14 days over. I couldn't have a sweep with my 2nd due to low lying placenta but then had one at 38 weeks with my 3rd then another when I was due and finally had my home water birth when my daughter was 4 days over. I don't know if if works but I will always try anything not to have to be induced (even though I still was with my 1st I would still try it). It was a bit painful but not too bad and still worth it. xx
  • i had a sweep with my first at about 37 + 3 and i thought that i hurt a little, then that night i had a show and contractions baby didnt come till a few days after . I would recommend it through my experiences , wished i could have again this time.x
  • I didn't have a sweep (I was offered 1 but didn't want one as it didn't work for any of my 7 pregnant friends) and went into labour naturally at 41+3
  • Hi everyone, thanks for replying. Sounds like it's a bit hit and miss as to whether it works or not, think I'll wait for things to happen on their own! I've pretty much accepted I'll be going overdue and I'm sure baby will make an appearance when s/he's ready.

xxx
  • Hiya

I had a sweep the other day and didn't really find it painful more uncomfortable my mw explained before it was done that its on par with the smear test but i thought it was as uncomfortable as that.

Didn't work anyway! am now 5 days over due and sweep was performed 2 days before due date!

Hope things happen for you soon

Jen xx 40+5
  • Aw thank you. Still got the chance to have it done next week if I'm still preggers, got a feeling I will be! Hope your lo decides to come along soon.

xxx