Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

Is this normal?

This is going to sound completely mad, but I feel like I'm revising for an exam imageimage I'm 38 wks now (our first) and it's like I'm cramming everything into these last weeks in preparation for the labour..... I've been pretty chilled out about the whole thing, not blase but I know the pain is productive and I know the pain will stop eventually.

Baby has been back-back and with me having SPD, I've been open minded about my pain relief options (though epidural is out due to GBS) but now I'm panicking pethidine if I take it is going to make me sick, drowsy and I won't remember anything to do with the birth but I feel trapped because I have Group B Strep I can't use the pool, so feel like my options are limited.....

Been reading about distraction techniques and now I'm like 'oh my god, I've not even thought about that!!!' like I've missed out a big chunk of revision. I'm just praying that my hubby has remembered the breathing exercises we were shown at antenatal class because I'm really worried once in the situation I'm going to panic and forget, which will make the whole thing worse....

Is this just a normal case of nerves because things are getting so close?

Replies

• Didn't want to read and run but I'm not sure I can help as I never got as far as you cos my boy arrived at 34 weeks so I was the other way and hadn't thought about it at all yet! :lol:

It sounds pretty normal to me as things get closer you are bound to worry about just about anything. But remember the midwifes are there to support you and help you make these decisions as well, they will help you with the breathing and will keep you as mobile as you can if that's what you want.

Really try not to panic as like you say it is productive and it does end!
  • When I had pethidine during pregnancy I had an anti sickness injection at the same time, every time it was given. I can't remember if I had one during labour, but it might be worth asking you mw

x x
  • I was exactly the same when I got to your stage, but honestly you really don't know what your labour will be like so I really think it is best to try and relax and stay positive as much as you can and just go with the flow.
    I was really worried about everything and spent hours reading things on the internet about labour and pain relief etc.
    The midwifes at the hospital are there to support you and should help you with your breathing and will be able to tell you the options at the time when you know how you are feeling.
    In the end after all the worrying, I had a pretty easy labour, got to the hospital and was 9cms and just had my baby with the help of my TENs machine and some gas and air.
    I'm sure you will be fine, try and stay relaxed if you can and let the excitment build - ready to meet your new baby!! xx