Forum home› Pregnancy› Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Delivering the Placenta!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Ladies.

Is it best to have the injection to deliver the placenta or to deliver it naturally? I've been reading up on it and it says the injection can cause nausea, headaches and vomiting.

Is this true?

Replies

• Options
    hi. i have had thge injection after having all 5 of my children and i can honestly say that i have never experianced those symptoms with it. the injection is given in your thigh as babies head is being born you don't even notice it. abd the placenta is deliverd with in minutes after baby being born.
    most women can say that they have felt nausia after giving birth due to exhaustion and maybe hunger. i would def opt for the injection every time as it also reduces the risk of bleeding but there are a few women on here that have delivered thier placenta naturally and have had good experiances, but it can take up to an hour for this to happen naturally.
    good luck with your choice.xxx
  • Options
    Hi

The injection made me shaky and caused me to vomit, however I would still have it again. After however many hours of labour I just wanted to get the last stage out of the way and get to bonding and cuddling! They gave me another injection to stop the vomiting which worked pretty quickly.

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy and your labour x
  • Options
    Hi I had the injection with my first 2 who were both born in hospital then had a natural 3rd stage with my 3rd baby who was a home birth. I have to say that my last experience was much better but then the entire birth was fantastic too.
    The benefits to a physiological 3rd stage (natural) is that there is no rush to get the placenta out (unless you bleed heavily) and the baby benefits from all the extra blood from the cord before it is cut. We stayed in the pool for 20 mins until the cord stopped pulsating so she got all there was.
    It did take just over an hour for the placenta to come out which is longer than most and I know a lot of women just want it out as soon as possible after the birth but I can honestly say that it was no bother at all. I was too busy enjoying my daughter and feeding her to even remember it was there then it came out very easily.
    There is a very slight risk that if it comes out too quickly (ie after the injection because the midwife then takes it out) that the cord could snap because it hasn't properly seperated but that is quite unusual.
    The other interesting thing was talking to a friend who was going to have a natural 3rd stage with her 4th but it was taking too long (20 mins and she was fed up with waiting) so she had the injection and had really bad afterpains (they supposedly get worse the more chilidren you have) whereas I didn't have any at all after my 3rd.
    Having had both, if I have any more children I would definately have another natural 3rd stage.
    Sorry that was so long! x
  • Options
    I had the injection with my 3 and felt none of the symptons. Plus, you're snuggling your gorgeous lo so you don't really notice anything! x
  • Options
    I didnt have the injection but i had intended to have but my labour was so fast [in hospital under an hour] that they didnt have time to ask me about it! My placenta came away within a few minutes after it stopped pulsating and i think it was good for my baby to have all the goodness before the last ties are cut. I have to agree though that it does stop the risk of bleeding heavily but its up to you. x
  • Options
    i also had the injection, didnt notice it going in and suffered no symptoms from it. placenta was delivered really quickly! x
  • Options
    Having read some of the other postings, I would say that both options have had good outcomes for different people. I would think about your labour as a whole, as from my experience people who labour and give birth without much medical intervention tend to want to have a natural third stage as they have come that far without any interference to mother nature. If someone has an induction, epidural and/or instrumental delivery it is more likely that this woman will not be worrying about how her placenta is delivered! If a natual third stage is something you are keen on, then write this in your birth plan so your midwife is aware right from the beginning. Either way, informed choice is the way forward!

Good luck
  • Options
    even though i have a bad case of needle phobia i have requested it on my birth plan as i want it over and done with so i can enjoy lo but my mw said they do it as soon as the head crowns so as your still pushing im relying on the fact that i wont even notice it !!

http://bd.lilypie.com/Mf5O0/.png

• Options
    i didnt have the injection with either of mine for them reasons with my second i had a completly natural birth it was fantastic
  • Options
    Thx for all the replies!
    I have given birth to a beautiful baby boy. He was born on Sat 22nd March @ 21:00hrs.
    I did take the injection, as I just wanted it to b all ova and to get bonding with my son.
    It hasn't given me any reactions........

Birth Story to follow. xxxx
  • Options
    CONGRATULATIONS!! Looking forward to reading your birth story xx