Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Advice please Leeds Mums!

Hi,

I'm due to have my second baby in February and am having a dilemma about which hospital in Leeds to go to, L.G.I. or Jimmy's? I'm currently pencilled in for L.G.I but I've spoken to several Mums who have had a terrible experience at the L.G.I. Understandably everyone has a different birth experience but the bad stories outweigh the good for L.G.I. I've heard mainly good things about Jimmy's but seemingly not many people choose to go there.

I had my first daughter in Edinburgh and apart from her arriving 4 weeks early, all was well!

Any advice or comments would be really helpful.

Many thanks,

XxX

Replies

• hey! im aleeds girl!
    okay im not pregnant, never have been but i was born in the LGI and from what i hear lgi IS THE CLEANER ETC BUT ITS MUCH STRIKTER WITH VISITORS ETC AND IF THERE ARE COMPLICATIONS YOUR SOPPOSED TO BE IN THE BEST PLACE BUT FROM everyone i talk to theyve all prefered st james', its more relaxed, lot of visitors etc and just generally a nicer environment,,,, my cousin had harry 4 days ago at LGI and just found it hostile and sent home after 4 hours etc but my other cousin had her little gil at jimmys and was able to stay pretty much as long as shed like....
    all in all what im trying to say is jimmys sounds better but ITS UP TO YOU HUN... good luck! x
  • Hope i dont confuse you with this....

I was in antenatal at LGI for a week before being transferred to Sheffield to deliver as no beds in Leeds and then transferred back to St Jimmys and staying 8 days in Transitional Care.

Have to say, after speaking with my friends who delivered around same time, some in LGI and some Jimmys and those that had stays in Transitional/Postnatal wards, LGI seems to have better delivery facilities but St JImmys was a more relaxed, friendly atmosphere.

I found the staff in St Jimmys couldn't do enough for you and always had time for you. If i had stayed in Sheffield or been transferred back to LGI for the Transitional care, not sure i would have found the time as "relaxing" - if thats the right word - as I did.
  • I'm not far from Leeds and could have gone there if I wanted. Out of the two I think I'd prefer Jimmys, but to be honest, knowing what the traffic is like in Leeds I'd choose the one that is easiest to get to from where I live as knowing my luck I'd need to get there in rush hour! :lol:

I know people that have been to both and never had a bad report from either.
  • Thanks for all your advice girls! xx
  • Hi
    I am not pregnant yet but I am from leeds and I do know that at Jimmys they wont tell you the sex of the baby so if you are wanting to find out the sex then I wouldnt go to St James.
    I know midwives at st james and lgi and hear good and bad about both. sorry that isnt much help. I know I will be choosing LGI though when I do finally preggers!

xx
  • hi, i had all 3 of my children at st james.

all were perfectly fine and the staff were lovely! they heach had plenty of time for you. It was always clean and visitors were kept to low numbers around beds. There is also alot more parking space!

i am currently pregnant with number 4 so i may see you there haha!

As for scans i HAVE been told the sex of all 4 of my children at jimmys so dont let that worry you if you are wanting to know which colour your bump is!!