Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Castor Oil?!

Hi everyone,

Some of us are getting desperate on the Feb forum and have been talking about taking Castor Oil to help bring on labour.
Is it just an old wives tale or worth a go?!

Thank you xxxxxxx

Replies

• Options
    Ooh babe, I'm definately steering well clear of that!! YUK!

I'm doing everything else to encourage baby to get moving, but not that! If I go much overdue I'd prefer to use Clary Sage Oil in the bath / massage oil as a last resort xx

http://bd.lilypie.com/KmfHp1/.png

• Options
    Hi Amy

I've heard castor oil can be dangerous. I dont know how tho

Try clary sage oil, i swear by it!!!

Heather xx
  • Options
    Ooh clary sage is sounding good too now!!!!
    How does that work? xxxxx
  • Options
    Just put a few drops in ur bath and lie in bath for bout 15-20 mins then wen u get out, mix a few drops with a few drops of baby oil and rub it into your bump.

I did that religiously a week before my LO arrived. I swear that did it for me! xxx
  • Options
    Oh fab! Where can I buy it from? Is it the sort of thing they sell in Tesco? xx
  • Options
    Hi there
    From experience I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole! I tried it when I was about 8 days over and the first dose I threw up all over the kitchen floor! I tried again straight after but this time had a shot of mouth wash ready to take the vile taste away!! It stayed down and about 20 mins later I had the most painful stomach cramps ever followed by a terrible dose of the 'squits!' that lasted a good 24 hours. It was awful. I know it's easy to say but your babies will arrive when they are good and ready!! They say reflexology can help but it did nothing in my case but at least it was lovely and relaxing!
    Take care and rest while you can!
    Best of luck.
    xx
  • Options
    Oh im keen to try clary sage oilbut ive just googled it and it scared me! Has any one else tried it i am 39+2
  • Options
    G'day girlies,
    I'm not due til the end of feb but am being induced on wed 13th cos of kidney problems. However I'm desperate for this baby to come out, i'm so bloody wrestless and can't sleep! Someone suggest something that dooesn't involve spicy food (urgh)!?! Whats all this about clary sage oil? I've never heard of it?
  • Options
    Thanks Zoey!
    Thats great that it worked so well for your cousin!
    Do you know when she took it? I'm 38+1 xxx
  • Options
    You can buy Clary Sage Oil at Holland & Barrett hun - it's an essential oil so don't use undiluted for massage, you'd need to dilute it with some base massage oil (also sold at H&B) or baby oil. Or you can add a few drops to your bath - I read that dissolving it in a little bit of milk first then adding that to your bath helps, as the fats in the milk help the oils to dissolve properly rather than just float on top of the bath water.

It's supposed to be great for labour as it helps keep your contractions stimulated and also is known as the 'natural gas & air'! xx
  • Options
    yeah i got mine from holland and barret. And i think the natural gas and air thing is tru cos this labour was no where near as painful as my first!!! xxx
  • Options
    Ok now i feel more confident using clary sage oil. A friend of mine said holland and barratt wontsell it to you if you are pregnant and you have to get some one else to get it for you. She had two baths on two nights and went into labour following morning. oh i dont know still a bit scared !
  • Options
    I put my hands up and admit taking Castor Oil with my first baby. She was breech and was told she would come really early. 4 days prior to due date i was so fed up as she was high up in my ribs and the pain was just maddening. I took 2 tspn full in black cherry yoghurt! I had mild runs that tea time and woke up with pains at midnight. she was born about 36 hours later!!! I was also very constipated so it could have been the poo (sorry tmi) stopping the labour starting. Just dont take too much and dont take it too early thats all.

d xx
    ps i wouldnt do it again though if that helps you decide!!!!
  • Options
    Castor oil did the trick for me with Zara. I went in to labour less than 24 hours after taking it. I actually scrambled it in eggs. It tasted vile but it done the job. I was 5 days overdue though when I took it. It was a last resort coz I tried everything else. Raspberry leaf from 32 weeks, clary sage from 37 weeks everyday in a bath & then massaged some into my bump as well, walked for miles, had more sex than you would ever want at that stage of your pregnancy & the last thing I wanted was a medical induction

Hilary x
  • Options
    Thats great Hilary!
    I love the new pic of Amy and Zara!
    Well despite what some of you have said (sorry) I am sooo desperate. I don't know if it will do anything but I mixed 4 teaspoons of it with a tiny amount of Orange Juice. I couldn't taste it at all so now wondering if its the wrong stuff! It made my teeth feel like vaseline though!
    I did it at 4.30pm so will wait and see.
    I'm just hoping all the 'gross' bit is out of the way by tomo afternoon (if it doesn't work), because its my birthday and meant to be going for a meal with my Dad!

I know i'm naughty, pls dont tell me off! image xxxx
  • Options
    How Far did you get with your baby still breech.
  • Options
    Hi hun, i went for a scan at 37+5 and she had turned then. I think she turned a few days before that. Congrats on your baby! Such a pretty name too xxxx
  • Options
    Good luck februarybaby I hope it works for you & you have your lo soon. Its def not dangerous in late pregnancy coz it was my midwife who told me how much to take & the different ways to take it (off the record of course) I'll be keeping a lok out for the arrival of your lo

Hilary x
  • Options
    Thank you Hilary!
    I took it at 4.30 yesterday and had an 'upset tummy!' by 6.30 but not as bad as I was expecting. Now not a lot is happening. Had you had signs by now? xxxxx
  • Options
    Aah thanks hun!!
    I'm having a real pregnant birthday. Hubby has bought me a gorgeous cake and let me eat some for breakfast!
    Still no signs ofcontractions. Do you think it hasn't worked? xx