Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

my birth story

hi everybody!

Evie Grace arrived on sunday night/monday morning at 3am... heres how it went

on saturday night i was at the end of my teather and wanted her here so badly, was in a grumpy fed up mood, but still got wrapped up like an eskimo and the hubby and i went out for a walk for an hour and a half. i came home and had a nice warm bath and went straight to bed. i woke at 7.45am with my first contraction. as soon as it happened i had a "feeling" it was the real thing but didnt want to get excited for nothing so sat for an hour timing, they were every 7mins. told the hubby and we both got up and started doing some preperations for if she was coming, last minute tidying and things! and the contractions slowly crept down to every 5mins. the pain wasn't bad at this stage. i called the hosp and they said to call and go in when i was having 3 contractions every 10mins. my parents came over and i was in such a cheery excited mood i just couldnt sit still or shut up, you'd never have thought i was in labour!

got to the hospital at 7.30pm contractions every 3/4mins but still not too painful. midwife couldnt believe i was in labour until she checked me out and i was 5cm! she did a sweep and with the next contraction my waters gushed everywhere! went straight to delivery sweet but contractions were now extremely painful. by about 8.30 i was on my hands and knees on the floor crying my heart out! i then tried gas and air but was gutted because i didn't take well to it, and a few puffs made me feel awful and i refused to have anymore! i then got the urge to push and called midwife in, she examined me and said i couldnt possibly have because i was only 7/8cm! but when i insisted she did some more investigating and realised the baby was back to back and only my hind waters had broken meaning i was dilating slower than i should have been. so, she broke my waters which i didnt feel any pain with just a big gush! and then contractions were so bad i was screaming for an epidural but the anaesthatist was busy in surgery so i couldnt get one! i settled for diamorphine, and wow! i'd really reccomend it, it was a god send. i dilated quickly from then and the edge was taken off the pain, i was allowed to push and was so drugged up i was falling asleep inbetween my contractions! the birth was complicated however because baby didn't turn, and i was cut in two places. she came out FINALLY(!) at 3am weighing in at 7lb 9, all healthy and beautiful. i was extremely tired and fed up after she was born so stitches didn't go down well!
i was only in hosp for 12hours after the birth which was fab and we've been settling fine at home. we're struggling with feeding though as baby can't latch on properly so i've had to express and then bottle feed. anyhoo i've rambled on long enough! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Replies

• Congratulations on the arrival of ur lo- I bet ur glad its all over!! My baby is lying facing the wrong way (not breech I think its called postier or sumfin) and I am SCARED!!
  • wow congrats! u sound so cheery i cant wait for my turn!! it must be amazing having ur lil lady home, all to yourself!
    xxx
  • Congrats on your babys arrival. I cant wait now for my little one to come im 3 days over now am booked in to be induced next wed. Hope you enjoy your time with baby.:\)
  • Aaawwww congratulations!! I can't believe how cheery you sound! Hope you make a full recovery soon xxx
  • well done you, sounds like you coped really well. congratulations x