Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

Tips for 1st Timer!??!

As I get closer to the end (Im currently 30 weeks) I have been flitting through emotions - Going from I am most definatly having an epidural as dont want to feel anything to maybe it wont be so bad if I try not to have one until Im desperate, but I am hoping maybe some of you more experianced ladies may be able to recommend some possible options for enjoying the labour as much as possible (if thats at all possible). I am so exited about having our first baby that Im nervous the labour will spoil my experiance so want to do whats best for both me and the baby. Any tips???
From a nervous yet very exited Mummy to be! x

Replies

• Ok this may sound awful but it's what i remebred all through was that it's going to hurt (i didn't want an epidural) and anything less painful was a bonus. This is just me and how i needed to deal with going into labour (8 years ago) but i'm pg again and due dec. I had pethedine and gas & air with my son, it made me very sleepy and didn't as such block the pain, however it did help. I went on to give birth normally with no tears or stitches.
    You always have to remeber to keep an open mind during labour, it may always not go as planned . Personally (i'll do it again) wait as long as possible before going to hospital this way i was mobile (went to hosp was 6cm dialated and contraction 3 mins) and although in pain i kept thinking that it wold only get worse and to keep calm & breathe. I packed my bag twice, painted my toes and had a bath and a walk several times around the block (near midnight) during labour, just to keep my mind occupied from the pain. I plan on using my ipod alot during labout this time, h2b knows this, but if i feel better than there is less stress on baby. I'm not sure yet what pain relief i will have, but would prefer not to have an epidural, but i won't dismiss if i need it urgently.

I may have diversed a little but just wanted to tell you how i coped with labour.

Good luck image x
  • I've had 1 baby so far and although i was anxious about how i would cope with labour and what would happen, I knew I had to go with the flow and try not to get scared, fear can somethines draw out or stop labour (although labour can have natural pauses) I stayed at home as long as I could and kept busy making food for the freezer and doing some washing etc. I had a bath when the contractions got stronger, and i gave myself a massage with some Jasmine oil.

all the time I was reminding myself that it was going to be painful but that the pain was there for a reason and my baby would be there at the end of it.

i went in with an open mind on pain releif but didn't want an epidural, i had gas and air and then a shot of Di-Morphine but i think next time i'd try just with gas an air as i felt like i was mostly in controll, there is a point just before the birth you tend to feel as though you can't do it, but if you listen to the midwife she'll bring you through it.

the best advice i can give you is just try not to get scared and go in with an open mind, you can plan all you want but really you just have to go with the flow. good luck hope all goes well;\)
  • I'd read Ina may's guide to childbirth, by Ina May Gaskin. I'm a first timer too (baby due any day now!) and kept going from one extreme to another regarding natural birth or all the drugs I could get! After reading that book it gave me a lot of confidence in my body and mind and not to fear the pain of labour as that will just make to pain worse. whatever you decide to do, make sure it's right for you, but I do recommend giving the book a go as it's a very positive read and definitely helped me get over my fears. Good luck!
  • Thanks ladies. I definatly will go in with an open mind. Had our 30 week check today and things are going really well so lets hope things continue that way. As nervous as I am I am very exited! Thanks for the help! x
  • As the others have said you have to go with the flow and take any advice that is given at the time. Each labour is so different and everyone has stories good and bad. When I got to your stage I didn't want to hear any more birth stories as they were frightening me. I've got 2 little girls and had a totally different time with them both, I had a c-sect 1st as my dd was breech. It was all planned and went really well - very sore afterwards but a lot better than I imagined it woul be. With my 2nd I wanted a Vbac and was getting so confused with all the talk of pain relief that I decided I would take the mw's advice when I was actually in that situation. I knew the best thing to do for me and the baby was to stay as calm as possible. I had to go into hospital as soon as my waters broke but was so calm the mw said, you won't give birth tonight you'll probably be tomorrow lunchtime. She wanted me to sleep which I couldn't because of the contractions, 2 hours later she examined me and I was 8cm and had only taken 2 paracetomol!! I was quickly taken down to delivery and had my dd no2 only having gas and air while pushing. Now I am a total wuss and moan about paper cuts hurting so this was an achievement for me.(I did end up with a few stitches though!)

No matter what your experience is or whether you have every type of pain relief on offer, just remember you'll have a gorgeous baby at the end of it. The pain soon fades, don't let anybody cloud your judgement or think any less of you for any descisions you make on pain relief. Your safety and your babies are paramount.

Best of luck and look forward to you joining us in Baby soon! xx
  • well...i have just had ,my 4th bundle of joy and i have done the epidural thing with my 1st and i vowed never again, it works well for some ladies but for me it completly ruined my birthing experiece, i think one of the most important things is to stay calm and relaxed it really does help your labour if you are scared and nervous and uptight it affects the pain you feel and i know first time and all that you will be nervous etc.... but try to remain calm and focused that every contraction you feel is one bringing your baby closer to being born, always keep an open mind though, calm is good!!!
  • I was told i would need an epidural as baby was back to back and i had to be induced with a drip. I didn't want one as i don't like needles and already had one in my arm from the drip which made me cry (was such a wimp!). Luckily the aneasitist (sp?) got held up in an emergancy and i ended up not being able to have one anyway. Once i reasised i had to cope with the pain on my own (with the help from the gas and air) I started to cope with it much better and it was pretty easy. With my second baby i thought 'if i need one i'll ask' and he was born pretty quickly too without one. With this one i'm still not ruling it out as each birth is different and again i'm a bit scared when i think about the birth but if i need an epidural i'll ask for one. The more you relax 'down there' though the quicker it'll happen. Just go with the flow and don't rule anything out. Good luck xx
  • Birth plans tend to go out the window on your first. I ,for example had a 'a back labour' where all my contractions were in my back as the baby had moved at the last minute so his spine was against mine. I never dream't this would happen so my whole birth plan never happened as the contractions were more painful than if they had been in the stomach! Go with the flow, read about everything so you know what the MW's are talking about. Nothing takes away the whole experience of giving birth, nor are there no prizes for no pain relief. Go with the flow and don't be disappointed with how it turns out. Good luck xx