Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

what can help to start labour

hi has anybody got any tips on how to start laboour, something that works,

Replies

• Absolulutly nothing works!! They say things can help to bring labour on, and as frustrating as it, its simple - the baby come when its ready.

They do suggest that having sex, eating pineapple, having reflexology, eating a spicy curry, a bumpy car ride, bouncing on a birthing ball, and castor oil may help to bring things on. Many women try these things and nothing happens!! I tried all the ablve with my 1st LO and she wouldn;t budge til 40+12!!!

Good luck! But dont get your hopes up!!

Garfield
    38+5

• raspberry leaf tea and gin & tonic are supposed to help as well or so i have read, although neither worked with either of my girls who both went over there due dates.

am afraid they wont budge unless there ready. Cant blame them for not wanting to come out though with how cold it is outside lol. Think i would rather stay warm and snug as well lol
  • Hiya

I tried everything when i was 10 days overdue. On the day I gave birth me and my husband went for a long walk during the day then I went into labour that tea time
    May be a coincidence but worth a try.
  • I have just found an article which could help (I'm gonna try it as soon as OH gets home). It's basically how to perform reflexology on yourself to help induce labour and the website is www.maternityacupressure.com

xx

• having sex helps, stimulating your nipples helps and walking around helps a lot of people lay down a lot and are less active before due date arrives but my midwife said it really helps to stay active. good luck katie 35wks+4 x
  • Absolulutly nothing works!! They say things can help to bring labour on, and as frustrating as it, its simple - the baby come when its ready.

They do suggest that having sex, eating pineapple, having reflexology, eating a spicy curry, a bumpy car ride, bouncing on a birthing ball, and castor oil may help to bring things on. Many women try these things and nothing happens!! I tried all the ablve with my 1st LO and she wouldn;t budge til 40+12!!!

Good luck! But dont get your hopes up!!

Garfield
    38+5

X

I tried all of the above (Most of them on the same day!!!) and .....

NOTHING HAPPENED!!!! Lol

Maddy turned up on Boxing Day, 3 days after my waters broke. She was determined that she was going to show when SHE wanted and not when I decided! Lol
  • iv got 4 days left and am gettin really fed up now!
    iv tried long walks, currys, any more suggestions xx
  • sex is a good 1 - It stimulates oxytocin(sp?) which is the hormone that makes u contract and ur mans semen contains prostaglandins which soften ur cervix and help u start to dialate.

sex worked for me when I went OD with my 2nd but nothing budged my 3rd - he was way to stubborn :roll:
  • i scrubbed the algi off my patio with a garden brush lol....sure that had something to do with it haha
    shaz
    (prev shazlnx)
  • Im 5days over and nothing have worked
  • labour help can be a hard thing to find I have heard that if you have a good midwife or doula they are able to help you kick start your labour!
  • imageI woke up this morning thinking that gonna drink Castor oil n orange juice,But jus as soon as I went to the toilet saw mucus plug,30 min after tht cramps started gettin really excited,So its best to wait 4 ur babY he or she will come wen h\she is readY!