Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

bloody show?

i went to the toilet earlier on and when i wiped there were spots of red blood on the toilet roll. ive since been wearing a panty liner and theres been no more blood. not had any contractions or pains but feels like baby is trying to punch his way through my cervix. does this sound like a show to you? do you think this means i should go into labour soon?
emilie
38 weeks x

Replies

• Emilie usually a show is like a mucusy/jelly like consistancy its not just a few spots of blood. These shows can either just be clear or bloody. If you find it does go jelly like then it is a first sign of labour

Sam 38+3 x
  • hey thanks for the reply
    pretty sure ive already passed the plug as had lots of muscus over the past couple of days, although because it was clear (i always thought it was brown or red) i dont think ive noticed it and passed it off as heavy discharge. been doing some research and everything pretty much says its a sign of labour, i hope so ! read somewhere that bleeding means the blood vessels in your cervix are breaking due to dilation. going to go for a walk and see if anything happens. fingers crossed. though knowing my luck he will stay put for another couple of weeks!
  • oh, also had period pains on and off for past 4 days. only had one today but the pressure in my pelvis and bum is becoming unbearable
  • Well that sounds like a good sign to me! Espeically the pressure around your bum thats a very goiod sign! Good luck and keep us updated!
  • I've had all of this and my midwife says its all normal and doesn't indicate labour yet??
  • Hi Emilie,
    that's exactly what happened to me yesterday! I panicked a bit tho cos it was bright red (although only small spots) so rang hosp and was told to go in to be checked out. Like you I had period pains and was having tightenings (not quite contractions) - they monitored me for a while and then just confirmed that all's well. Midwife says that it could be the start but noone can say for defo eh. Pains died off through the night and there's been nothing today! (I'm due 2moz!!)
    Let me know how you go on...we'll both keep our fingers crossed eh!
    Kerry ximage
  • having shooting pains in my cervix and bum now. really want my baby! going to go for a walk in the morning (well, later on, its 4am lol) hopefully something will happen. just so happened to have developed some lovely thrush as well, or what i think is thrush. itchy itchy image sorry if tmi lol