Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

My Daughter Emily has arrived.

Hi, just thought I'd share my experience with you.

At 1:30am on Saturday the 24th November I woke up feeling like I was having contractions. They were only 7 minutes apart and felt like a very bad period like cramp across my lower abdomen. I thought it was too soon to have contractions every 7 minutes so I just tried to go back to sleep, thinking it was a bad stomach, as my husband had an upset tum all of Friday.

Anyway, after half an hour they were coming every 5 minutes. I decided to put my tens machine on and wait it out a bit longer. Then after another half an hour I was nearly every 2 minutes. I decided then to call the hospital, because usually they say to get yourself in when your 5 minutes.

The hosipital told me that it did seem a bit quick to go to 2 minute intervals, but if I was coping with the pain to stay at home for a bit longer. So I did. I finally decided that at 5:30am the pain was getting too strong and wanted to be checked out, so off we went to the hospital.

When examined I was already 4 cm dilated. Had some paracetamol and codein to take the edge off the pain, however I suffered badly with sickness during contractions, and couldn't keep anything down. So they said that Diamorphine would be a good choice, as they could give me anti-sickness drugs with it.

So I had the Diamorphine. It was awful. The room just started spinning and I felt like I had no control. They then took me down to the delivery room. I was examined again a couple of hours afterwards and was 8 cm dilated. When she examined me my waters broke. Things rapidly moved then. I said I couldn't stand the pain and wanted an Epidural, but I was too far gone.

Real feelings of needing to push started and within half an hour my lovely daughter Emily Patricia was born, using only gas (Diamorphine had worn off).

The labour from start to finish was only 13 hours, which I thought was quite quick for a first baby. I am so proud of her, she's lovely. And my husband was fantastic. Couldn't have done it all with out him.

Unfortunately, by pulse rate went up after delivery, so I was admitted into the hospital. Only got out yesterday, so its now time to experience family life at home.

Good luck to all mums to be, and remember things may not always go according to plan.

Gill

Replies

• Options
    oh well done lovely story, hope mine is as quick, best of luck for your new daughter, congratulations xx
  • Options
    Congratulations,

I hope mine goes as quick (& soon!!) Hope you & little Emily are doing well & settling into family life

Take care

Hilary x
  • Options
    aww, congrats! welcome to the world little emily!
    hope you are both well xx.
  • Options
    hi morgwick... i gatecrashed you last post about show etc... I htought about you a couple of minutes ago and thought I would see how you were and saw this thread... many congratulations on the birth of your daughter... glad you are now home and able to experiance family life relax and take it easy and enjoy every minute
    Lisa x
  • Options
    Congratulations and well done!!
    Take care
    xx
  • Options
    Huge congratulations! TYou were really quick for a first baby! Glad mother and baby are doing well. Welocme to the world baby Emily! xxx
  • Options
    Oh well done! congrats on your little girl. Welcome little Emily.
    Diane and Ellie. xxx
  • Options
    Congratulations and well done! Lovely birth story!

Sam & Jayden x
  • Options
    Congratulations!

Liz x
  • Options
    congratulations and well done x
  • Options
    Congratualations. My birth was only 8 hours from my waters broke and that was my first baby. From the actual contractions until I gave birth was only 3 1/2 hours which was great. I also only had gas and air. I had my baby at 34+4 weeks and she was only 3lb 12oz. She is doing great now at almost 11 weeks.