Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Labour 2nd time around

Hi there

I am hoping you ladies can help me with this as its starting to worry me slightly.

My first child I had to be induced at 41 weeks and my labour only lasted 3 hours - not that I am complaining!
My worry now is that I am 33 weeks pregnant and worrying about whether my labour time will be halfed as the story goes or whether if I go into labour naturally will it be a long labour????

I am hoping it will be the first option and not the later. Does anybody have any stories???

Replies

• When i had my ds, i wnet into natural labour at 38+6 weeks, it was a very long labour (about 48 hours) and i had to be given drips and was prepped for a c-section as the cord was wrapped round his neck!
    When i had my dd 22 months later, i had her within the hour and had no pain relief, so all in all yes mine was a million times easier the second time round x x
  • Hi

With my 1st i was in slow labour from fri to sun although i didnt really know it, i was 38+5, i got to hospital at 7 am on sunday and he was born by 10:28am, 2nd time round i arrived at hospital at 06:10 and Isabella was born at 06:24am. Labour was definately easier and faster 2nd time round (although still painful obviously) but the real difference was after the birth, i had no pain whilst moving around and no pain whilst going to the toilet, and i had stitches this time!!!

I found it such a positive experience and i never thought id say that after my first birth haha!!

Fi and Isabella 4 weeks
  • I would also be interested in this as I was induced with my first baby aswell, was in labour for 5-6 hours, and was wondering when we concieve second baby if the labour will be longer because (i'm hoping ) it will be a natural birth?

xxx
  • i hope the time wont be halves cause i was only in established labour for 50 minutes and cant bare the thought of dlivereding in 25 minutes from start to finish!!!!! scary thought, i really want a nice 5-6 hour labour this time, fast isnt always better as i didnt feel in control at all and was just swpet along, hope no2 isnt in as big a rush as no1! LOL x
  • Hi all

Well I have a midwife appt tomorrow at 3pm so will definitely ask my mw about it!!
  • Hi my first labour was induced at 41 plus 5 days and i had a long labour 28 hours! but second time round i hoped i had be natural but got induced at 41 plus 6 and at 9pm i was 1 cm dialated and then my waters broke at 11pm and i had my son at 12.25 am and no time for epidural or anything!! so i think it depends on the person.
  • Hey Kelly 06 how did your midwife appointment go?

wow nikkispain!! really hope I dont have a labour that fast!!!
    we wouldnt have time to get to hospital :O
    just hoping for a natural birth this time with no induction.
    xxx
  • Hello All

Well I have had my MW appointment and asked her the question about it, she said that as I was induced the first time then I should have a normal birth this time and my labour time will be half! Althouh she did say that as I was induced the first time round it might mean I have to be induced again (or them just break my waters).

I've had enough of being pregnant already I want him out!
  • Thank you for coming back on letting us know!
    Glad your appointment went ok.

If my labour is half with next baby then I will only be 2-3 hours :O .
    I really hope I dont have to be induced next time.
    When is your LO due?
    xxx
  • Hi ttc

My LO is due 21st Jan. When is yours due??
  • you have scared the crap out of me now, if my labour is halved i will only be in labour for 25 minutes! i live 40 miles away from the nearest hospital!!!!! i have MW tomarrow so must ask her again!!!!
  • Im not pregnant yet image . I have just taking my last pill today! I know jumping the gun a little!! lol!

Aww not long to go now hunni!! do you have everything organised?
    Do you know if you are having a wee boy or a wee girl?
    (soz for all the questions!! )
    xxx
  • im not pg again but with my first i was pushing after 1 hour that means it would be 30mins. will be afraid to even cough incase
  • This has scared me a bit too - I was induced at 41+4 with my son, and in labour less than three hours. My big fear last time was getting to hospital on time (hubby's too!), so if my labour is halved this time I'll be camping out at the hospital from 38 weeks I think! I also have a bit of a fear of not realising I'm in labour - even though this os my 2nd baby I didn't have to realise last time, although contractions 3 minutes apart lasting 2 minutes each from the word go are hard to miss! But what if by the time I realise I've wasted valuable 'getting to hospital' time?
  • guys my MW said there was a much chance of having a long hard labour for no2 as no1 and that not every second labour is faster and about half are actually slower and that it is a mith that all second pregnancy go faster even though this is the case for some, saying that, on the next breath she offered to have me induced at 38 weeks because if i even have the same labour lenght again [50 minutes from start to finish!!!] that i wont make it to hospital 40 miles away, not sure what to do, will ponder it over christmas and have to see on the 4th Jan. x