Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

My best induction yet!!!

Hi

Thought I would post this as I found it a great positive experience!

Went in for an induction on Friday at 4pm. Had my prostin put in around 5.30pm and then was told to keep active for as long as possible and she would come and check me at 10pm. Though made it very clear that is was unlikely to work and I would need another prostin tablet later.

Went for a walk with hubby and then sat and bounced on my birthing ball whilst watching tv. Noticed that I was getting some regular braxton hicks from 7.30pm, but very mild and they just continued until midwife came to check me at 10, which was actually nearer 10.30. She reckoned if I had some gas and air she could break my waters, she gave me a really good sweep and said she was trying to pull my cervix forward...I didn't find it uncomfortable but did have a squirt of rescue remedy before she dived in! Anyway she went off to get the gas and air and all the stuff to break the waters so by this time is was around 11 ish. I had always had such hideous experiences of my waters being broken before and she promised she would be really, really gentle!

Well either she was very gentle or the rescue remedy and gas and air really did the business as I didn't feel any pain...just a warm gush of water...that kept on coming, and coming and coming...to the point that she was apologising for not realising how much water there would have been!! Poor old hubby was at the end of the bed reading a magazine and was quite shocked at how much water was flooding everywhere!

So, the plan of action was to get to me to a delivery room, get me settled, set up and epidural and then give me the drip to get my contractions going...so I sent hubby off to get himself some food and I continued to pace the corridor whilst my room was being done, then moved bags etc over to new room. I was hooked up to the monitor again for 20 mins just to check on baby and then I unhooked myself as I needed a wee...also needed a poo but couldn't manage it. That was it I was now paranoid about my poo! Thinking it is up there and it needs to come out before I give birth and really didn't want hubby to see me poo myself! So went back to my birthing ball and hooked myself back up to monitor but just wasn't comfortable so leant over back of bed. midwife came in to put in the canula & set up drip for the epidural & then said the anaethetist was delayed it was about 12.20 by this time & had to decide if i wanted pethidine but then by the time it would work epidural would be in...so carried on with gas & air...but was getting stressy & wanted a wee, so they put me on a bed pan & midwife checked me & was 5 cms & around 12.40. Anaethetist turned up & then a discussion took place regarding why i had been on vitamin k, so she wanted to read my notes...

I couldn't cope any longer & needed my poo & was screaming give me drugs & let me poo image midwife aked where pain was, i told her i had to push out poo...she checked & I was fully dilated...so was told not a poo, but my baby :lol: no time for epidural and i could push...hooray baby delivered on to tummy & I cut the cord!

So total labour was 1 hr 35 first stage, 18 mins second & 7 mins for third.

Violet Grace was born at 1.03 am on 17th November weighing in at 7lbs 7oz at 37+4 weeks.

Hubby was in complete shock at the speed...not as shocked as me. After having had 2 inductions with the full works & epidurals I much preferred this birth...yes it was painful but not for long & the gas & air really takes the edge off it!

Huge thanks to my midwife Debbie at the James Cook University Hospital - she was a star...but biggest thanks to gorgeous hubby for putting up with me whilst pregnant & for giving me the best 41st b'day present (b'day is tomorrow) a girl could ask for.

Carolyn & Violet xxx

Replies

• Options
    Congratulations on the birth of Violet Grace. What a lovely story. Nice to hear of an induction that has gone so well. Hope you are all well and Happy Birthday!
    xxx
  • Options
    oh wow, congraulations, what a lovely story & a lovely name, well done you, I'm due in april at James cook so hope i have such a good experience (and quick - lol)

Congrats again & happy birthday for tomorow xx
  • Options
    Congratulations Cally,

Its soo nice to read a nice induction story coz you hear of soo many horrible ones.

What a lovely birthday present Violet Grace is too

Take care & have a lovely birthday tomorrow

Hilary x
  • Options
    wohaa...that sounds like the birth I want.
    i am shocked you delivered at james cook..I had my first 2 there. Did not realise you were boro girl.... where abouts are you from. I grew up in Normanby till I 10 then Nunthorpe. Just sold house in tollesby hall , marton which is 10 mins from hosp. God all that time we chatted and did not know you were from my home town...amazing. Shame I live in Middle East now or we could have met up....
    so glad Voilet arrived safe and well....after such an easy labour whens the next one planned..ha ha !!!!!!
    d xx
  • Options
    wow cally that sounds so lovely.well done and happy birthday too!!
    holly xxx
  • Options
    aw congrats, i had my baby at james cook 6 months ago and it was the worst thing ever till i went up to high dep which was fantastic, guess i was just unlucky on low dep, well done xxx
  • Options
    what a brill story, and such a quick delivery! grace is what we've chosen for our little ones middle name too! love it. congratulations! X
  • Options
    ah shame you had bad one at james cook...My 2 were both delivered under high dependancy so I had great care. lauren was breech but I delivered her and Chris was induced due to my husband been on death bed (he survived) and I was such a mess that they induced me at 37 weeks. My lovely consultant was Dr Toop who is fab. i spoke to him this summer as I wanted a scan for this number 5 before I flew back to mid east. he was very nice but said he would have to charge me 1000 pounds!!!!!!!!! ha!!!!! iwent to baby bond in leeds and paid 70!!!
    IF you have another Hayley I hope you get better care. Ask for Toop he must be about 100 by now but he is so good.
    Cally......hope you and voilet enjoying getting to know each other. What a gorg name!!!!!!
    d xxx
    ps happy birthday !
  • Options
    congrats on your baby. I am booked in to be indused next wednesday and reading your story I hope it goes that well. Im petrified! :roll:
  • Options
    well done cally hun and woah she is gorgeous what a wee beauty xxx
  • Options
    Well done Cally - I've always been worried about being induced (managed to avoid it so far) but your story has put my mind at rest...... Really hope you're enjoying life.

Take care

Em x
  • Options
    Well done again Cally - she looks absolutely gorgeous! I've been worried about being induced cos my sister had 2 bad experiencs but it's nice to know it can go well sometimes too. Happy birthday x
  • Options
    well done again cally

& yes dee dee - toop is still there - ha ha xx
  • Options
    Awww, Cally that is a fab story so glad it all went well. Happy Birthday, hope you are having a lovely day with your new little bundle of joy. She is absolutely gorgeous!

Keep in touch with us all and let us know how you are getting on.

Liz xx
  • Options
    Hi Cally, im so glad your little girl arrived safe and quickly! great birth story, hope you are both well and will chat on the november forum soon. xxx
    Diane and Ellie. xxx
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for your lovely words!

Dee Dee will post you on the 'older mums' forum!