Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Do epidurals work???

I have to do my birth plan wednesday with my midwife and i am really wanting an epidural but are they really as effective as they say??
My midwife tries to put me off having one but she has never even had no babies so its easy for her to say have no pain relief!
Any advice would be great thanks x x x sophia x x x

Replies

• Dunno how effective they are as I never had one myself but from watching all those baby birthing shows on tele, I can say that every one of the women on there who are in agonising pain all of a sudden can handle the labour & seem much happier once the epidural had been done.

My sister had one & asked them to keep it in for a few more days as she was loving it so much & other friends who have had it say that you still feel the pain & pressure but it is totally bearable where as without one they felt like they are going to die of pain!!!

I'm having one but have been encorouged not to have it too early (which is fine) but as soon as I feel I need it I am going to get it.

Don't forget, your mw is there to advise but it isn't her descision in the end. IT'S YOURS. image
  • thank you so much for advice! Ill tell my midwife i want one then, she is in no position to say have no pain relief as she has never even had babies herself!
    I will definetly have one, my mw tries to make me feel guilty for wanting one like im going to get an award for having no pain relief!
  • screw her, if she makes a fuss then say, "so how did you get through labour"?? (even though you know she hasn't) & when she says she hasn't, then you have ammo to tell her to keep it shut as she can't possibly know whether an epidural would be of benefit or not. image

Just remind her that as your are the one who will be having a baby coming out of you , then you have decided you want one.

Feeling really evil today & can't stand these poeple who go on about what we should or shouldn't do. I'm the one having a baby & I'll what I please so everyone else & their opinions can piss off image

• I'm definitely having one, how long do they last then? I'm starting to get worried about giving birth now.
  • Hello girlies, i personally do not want 1. I am not scared of needles but needles near my spine scares me more than giving birth!

I think its ur decision & ur m/w has no right to force her opinions on u. Do what u feel is best at the time. U can have is as part of ur birth plan but that does not mean its a must, u may do very well without it & not even need it. But at least u know its there incase u do.

I wont consider having it, my sis has 3 kids with no pain relief & my mum the same. My 2 friends didnt even need gas and air, i know everyone is dfferent but believe me my friends r wimps & if they can do it, i can!!!!! I would like gas & air though. I like the buzz. he he*
  • the beauty of them is they can be topped up so if you have an emergancy c-section (like my sister) then it can stay in for while after to help with the op pain, otherwise it can be removed straight away after birth.

But during labour, as soon as the pain starts getting too much you just get them to top you up again. Lovely..

• just wanted to say, I also agree with tess1, I am assuming I will want an epidural & if I do, then I will make sure I get one, but until you are in labour you wont know how bad the pain is or how you cope with it.

I think we all hope to have a nice text book labour with us gently panting & producing a baby with a little bit of pain & without smudging our mascara image but in reality very few of us will, so make the plan but remember it can be flexibleimage
  • I am gtting scared but excited now, i am dreading the birth but cannot wait to be with my baby.
    Oh they can top them up??
    i didnt know that, im definetly going to have one, i heard that you cant leave it too late to ask for one during labour as they wont give it you. Is this true, how do you know when its too late to have one, when babies head is coming out?!?
  • Hi i had an epidural with my first labour, i won't be opting for one this time. it was fab for pain relief, but for pushing it was a big no no... well 4 me anyway.i think it was topped up too late really. epidurals are associated with assisted deliveries, so make yourself aware of all birth options. i only looked into pain relief and found it quite upsetting when forceps failed and a first ventouse also failed. in the end you're just happy that your baby is safe and well. xx
  • Just so long as you know Sophia that having an epidural increses your chances of needing assistance ( forceps, venthouse) and your chance of ending up with a caesarean. Not saying you shouldn't have one just wanted you to know.
    I had one which stopped all the pain at the time, but I was only having mild contractions, they just gave it to me coz I was having a caesarean anyway and =didn't want me chugging all their gas and air. Didn't work so well when they topped me up for the op though and ended up being topped up again on the operating table coz it was hurting then. That was scary I can tell you.
  • Oh my god Dawnie, that is scary*
  • Oh my god, there are so many things to take into consideration. . i have to do my birth plan wednesday and dont know what to do!!
    I really didnt want them to use forceps etc on my baby x
  • Hi I had epidural with my first and it didnt work properly my babies head was trapping a nerve to my left leg so my body was painless apart from my left leg where all the pain was and it was horrible. I had to be rushed to theatre and needed a ventouse delivery just in the nick of time though as if that didnt work it would have been emergency c-section. I had pethadine with my second daughter and I will say it was a whole nicer experiance. I was so knocked out with my first my first moments with her are quite blurred. Hope this helps
    xx
  • also i have said this before but i had one with my first baby and although it stopped the pain at the time i got severe back ache afterwards to the point where some days i couldn't even hold my baby and it took nearly 5 years for it to heal properly so i personally will never have another.....anita xx
  • Thats exactly why i am terrified of needles anywhere near my spine. As i have back problems from when i was younger (when i was hit by a car at 12) so i do not want to make it any worse!
  • I dont know what to do, everyone has different opinions and stories of them! I am really undecided x x
  • Best thing I can suggest Sophia is to find out as much as you can then decide at thge time. There is no need to make your mind up now. You may find you cope fine with just gas and air or you might find you NEED an epidural to cope. It wont be like anything you've ever done, its ok having an idea of what you want but you have to be open to how it goes. ireally wanted just gas and air but ended up witha c-section coz Dex was breech.
  • hi sophia i really dont want an epidural as the problems i hear of scare me more than the thought of pain! i have to do my birth plan on sunday with MW and i am going to ask for the birthing pool as i love being in water and think it will be great pain relief i would like just gas and air and water, but i have never done it before so i dont know how i will cope, my OH is convinced that i will be a right mard arse as i am emotional person so i am determined to prove the git wrong!!!! i think dawnie is right get all info on pain relief and epidural etc and then go with your labour you may no need any pain relief everyone is different. xx hayley xx
  • morning sophia, i'd keep your options open. your birth plan is a guide for your midwives, so they won't shoot you if you change your mind... you don't know how you'll manage the pain until the labour starts, so try to keep an open mind... easier said then done... sorry!!! Explain to your midwife your worried I'm sure she'll be able to help. xx
  • i wanted the epidural with my daughter but by the time i was dialated enough to have it,she started coming quickly the little madam so i ended up not having anything!!! this time, im really going to get some gas and air!!! lol its supposed to be a great help! as this is my second and supposed to be quicker(so they say) im not holding my breath for epidural!! although i have to say, for the contractions i sat in the bath and its amazing just how much this helps!!! im getting nervous about birth now,very,im such a puff! but once its happening you just have to get on with it and before you know it, its all over and you feel like a super hero lol xx