Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Does this sound like a good birthing plan?

I know it's a bit early for me to be thinking of a birth plan as I'm only 10+5 weeks, but I want it to go well this time!

With my 2 year old, all control was taken away from me as I thought it best to leave it to the midwives and I didn't say anything. I didn't get what I wanted and was drugged up to the high heavens. When she was born it's all a blurr and that makes me feel really angry now as I can't remember those first precious moments. I had no skin to skin, was stiched up screaming the place down, oh was useless (just stood there in shock).

So I'm looking for your advice whether you think this is a good plan and will work out for the best.

I would like give birth in hospital - as I'm prone to things going wrong! I would like to use the birthing pool for pain relief until the pain gets out of hand. When that happens I was thinking of an epidural as it will take the pain away, but won't leave me falling off the bed with my head spinning. When lo is acually born he/she be put straight onto my chest for skin to skin, and I want at least 10-15 mins without the cord being cut or anyone butting in trying to take lo away. Then lo can be dressed and fed.

Does this sound like it could acually go to plan???

Replies

• Options
    Gosh I know its not funny but I did have a giggle when I read "I want to give birth in a hospital coz I'm prone to things going wrong" At least youre being sensible about it & if hospital makes you feel more secure then thats a good choice.

Water is a fantastic pain reliever, I used it with my 1st & would throughly recommend it. I have no experience of epidurals but my sister swears they are just bliss. I think you wanting skin to skin contact immediatly is great & I have read somewhere that its actually more benefical for baby if the cord is not cut immediately anyway. I'm sure if everything is fine then that part will be no problem either.

It sounds like youve done alot of thinking about the birth & how you would ideally like it go but all your decisions sound like a good idea to me.

Theres nothing wrong with being organised & thinking about the birth already coz believe me time flies in a 2nd pregnancy.

I was due on monday but am now on my 2nd day overdue, any suggestions on how to get this little rascal shifted???

Hilary x
  • Options
    Thanks Hilary,

That's given my confidence in my decisions.

I was 2 days overdue with first lo. I think the safest way to get things moving along is gentle exercise - like long walks. You could get your nesting instinct going by preparing everything for when lo arrives or just doing housework - stuff like that.

But also make sure you get plenty of rest because you'll need all your energy soon. It won't be long now so just enjoy what little time you have with lo in your belly because you might miss the feeling.

Take care, can't wait to read your story x
  • Options
    Thanks,

I've been trying to keep busy & take my mind off things as much as possible. I was 4 days over with my 1st so was kind of hoping this one might have came a bit sooner, though I guess this isnt always the case!!

Hilary x
  • Options
    Hi

I think your birth sounds lovely but be careful about leaving it too long before having an epidural. Often the anesthetist and nurse have to be called which can take a while and if you're too far into labour you wont be able to have an epidural.

I didn't get skin-to-skin with my son until 3.5hrs after birth as I had to have extensive stitches. I had an epidural for the stitches and found it really limited my ability to bf, I had to lie down and luckily LO was strong enough to latch on and suck without much assistance.

Just to let you know I went 14 days overdue, sorry!

Take care x
  • Options
    14 days whooaaa! no wonder lo was strong enough to latch on !!
  • Options
    Yeah. I was convinced I was never gonna give birth, that I was just gonna keep getting bigger & bigger.
    People were making comments that his voice was gonna break before he came out!

Good luck x