Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Spinal/Wet Tap with Epidural....scared.

Has anyone experienced this with an epidural??

I was planning to have one with this baby, but now I'm thinking of changing my mind after a friend had a 'wet tap' when they gave her an epidural. She said they put the needle in a bit too far and afterwards because of this the fluid surrounding her brain leaked out into her spinal cord causing a very severe constant headache like a migraine that lasted several days.

They had to take her to theatre after the baby was born and took blood from her to inject into her spine to try and fill the hole caused by the epidural needle. She had to spend 2 weeks in hospital because she was so poorly and could not sit up at all!!! If she did it felt like her head would explode!!!

She said it is a risk you take if you have the epidural...does anyone know what are the chances of this happening. The midwives had to look after her baby and she was unable to because of this. And the worst thing was she didn't even need the epidural as when they put it in...1 minute later he popped out.

I would feel terrible if I was in this position as I'm really looking forward to spending the first days with my baby looking after him/her and bonding with him/her. When the midwife called the anesthetist to tell him the epidural went wrong he said 'I thought it went in too far.' Bugger!
:evil:

[Modified by: ~yummy_mummy~ on 25 January 2008 14:37:38 ]

Replies

• Ooh that's horrible! I hate the thought of having an epidural anyway, it makes me want to pass out but that's made me doubly sure I'm not having one!

But just to reassure you my auntie had 2 emergency c-sections and had epidurals both times without any probs so I think the risks are small.

Were you hoping to have one? You never know you might not need it in the end.

xxx
  • i had a epidural and mine was fine, i dont think this sort of thing happens often. my epidural was fantastic and id have it again with my second, i wouldnt worry to much as ive never heard of this happing and my mam n sister both had 2 epidurals each with there kids x
  • I was planning to have an epidural yes, because the pain was really bad last time and they gave me pethidine and diamorphine and those caused me to hallucinate although they are effective pain relievers they left me unaware and not in control of what was going on.

I only wanted to have it if the pain got too much, but hoping being in the water will take most of it away.

What is the difference between a spinal block and an epidural then?

Karys xx
  • i have just done my birth plan and am not wanting an epidural atall, i am petrified of it. I have heard a few horror stories and would rather not run the risk. I no i cant positively say i wont have one as you never no what might happen at the time but i am praying i dont have to have one.x
  • I know this is probably late, since January but I have just spotted the website. I had a dural tap (as it is so called). To be honest at the time it was such a relief to have as the first time they tried to put it in it didn't work and the second time they puncture the spinal fluid. The instant relief was great. I was numb and after 30 hrs of labour it was heaven. I did have to a blood patch after but once you have the blood patch it is an instant cure. I went home the same day. My only regret was not having the blood patch the day after birth, as they told me to stay in a week to see if it would heal of its own accord. I would not like to have an epidural again but that is because I would like to try without pain relief but it has not put me off. Not as bad as you think and it is not as common as you think. I was unlucky, as usual. The anaesthestist who did me said she hadn't done one in 10yrs, typical.

Good luck!!!!!:lol:
  • has this baby will be my first,i say i dont want one but dont really no what to expect in labour so may be begging 4 one.

do they give you a local before they give you an epidural?

does it hut when its going in? im even scared of blood test!! im such a wuss. xxx
  • I was totally against having an epidural after hearing horror stories but after being induced and not making much progress I was advised to have one by my MW, didn't hurt at all, no pain through labour and stitches that were needed after episiotomy. Never say never, just see how things go and if you need one then you'll be fine, just do what's best for you and baby x
  • I had my first 9mths ago and ideally didn't want an epidural but the gas n air made me feel so ill I knew I couldn't have pethidene, so with all the pain in my back had an epidural. I had to sit on the edge of the bed and lean into my oh, so he was holding me still while they put the needle in, it didn't hurt and the relief from the pain was amazing. I ended up having to have an emergency c-section, so it was kinda good that everything was in place already anyway.
  • I had my first 9mths ago and ideally didn't want an epidural but the gas n air made me feel so ill I knew I couldn't have pethidene, so with all the pain in my back had an epidural. I had to sit on the edge of the bed and lean into my oh, so he was holding me still while they put the needle in, it didn't hurt and the relief from the pain was amazing. I ended up having to have an emergency c-section, so it was kinda good that everything was in place already anyway.
  • Had a wet tap with my last child! I felt this horrible pain shoot down my leg and I moved and she took it out immediately. After my son was born I was placed in a caffeine drip for 2 hrs and for breakfast lunch dinner and in between those I was given Coca Cola. I was given those for my entire stay which was Monday thru Wednesday. Worst headache you can experience.
  • I had this happen with my first child. I have scoliosis and they couldn't quite get the epidural, so they tried three to four times. It never took but I did end up with my big toe numb. I went home with the worst headache you have ever had in your life. I went on for seven days before I called my mom at work in tears to come get me. Doctor said he didn't know how I had lasted that long. I had lost my vision, I couldn't steady myself, I quit eating and couldn't hold my baby. My husband said it was nothing but post pardon depression and refused to take me to the hospital! The minute the doctor did the blood patch, I could walk, I could see and my first stop was to Arbys! I ate not 1 but 2 roast beef sandwiches! LOL. When I got home my husband was told by me that if he ever refused to find me treatment he would no longer be found! Ladies, it can happen and it is worse pain than the labor pains!

• I would never have a nother epidural in my life. I also had what is called a wet/tap. My son is now one and I have had a head ache ever day since he was born, numbness in both hands and sever pain in neck back and shoulders. and end the end I had him natural.