Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Advice please?

Hi

I went to see the midwife yesterday and she tried a sweep for the third time but it was unsucessful again due to the fact that my cervix is completely closed and long. I am 40+10 today and am booked in for an induction on friday 21st which I totally don't want. This means I have 3 days for my cervix to dilate but as it hasn't dilated at all yet and I'm this far gone it seems highly unlikely that its going to happen. The mw also seemed to think that induction would fail due to the cervix being completely closed. Has this happened to anyone else and their cervix has just all of a sudden dilated? Sorry this is long, but I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Kirsty x

Replies

• Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the exact same happened to me. I had 2 sweeps after my due date both of which did nothing at all and were extremely uncomfortable! I was taken in to be induced at 10 days overdue and over the space of 3 days I was given 3 doses of prostin pessaries and had countless examinations which all showed that my cervix was still closed and long. The senior consultant came to see me on day 4 in hospital and examined me, he said he couldn't even feel the babies head. He told me that in his opinion the baby was too big to pass down my birth canal and it's head wasn't resting on my cervix so it wasn't being stimulated so he told me he was going to do a c section. I was a bit disappointed but by then I was 2 weeks over, very uncomfortable and just wanted to meet my baby!
    She was born healthy and that is all that matters really. I would try not to worry too much, you may be one of the lucky ones who goes from being closed to dilated with the first dose of prostin!
    I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
    xx
  • i didnt agree to a sweep until i was 40 + 7 but my cervix was the same the midewife had to be brutal so i sat on my hands to make it easier and she dragged my cerix down, it was a bit uncomfortable. this was all because babies head wasnt down enough so i spent 2 days rolling my hips, its especislly good if you have one foot on a step. anyway she waited until i was 40+13 before she decided to arrive, up until then there were no signs and she kept changing positions. hang on in there and keeping trying to get baby in a good position, see if you can get another sweep, its worth a go. the other thing is accupuncture i have heard really good thinks about it.