Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

this is soooo frustrating!!

Had period pains on and off for a couple of days, then contractions started at 9 last night. They came sporadically all night, not very painful but pretty sure not BH. They stopped this morning and now just got continuous period pains. MW said it's either the baby engaging more or early labour. I want to know which!!! I think I'm having very mild contractions again but still got the continuous achy period pains - is this normal? I thought when you went into labour you had no pain between contractions.

Argh let something happen please!!!

Debbie 37+1

Replies

• Options
    hope something happens 4 u debbie!! i aint had braxton hicks at all yet and am heading for induction on tues now!

xx
  • Options
    hi debbie,
    i've been feeling the exact same thing since the weekend. Had 4 contractions on Monday, about an hour apart, but they stopped when i started walking about. then only mild period type pain on tues, then 2 more contractions yesterday, and back to the period pain again today. It's bizarre. Not even sure if they are contractions - they're just like the worst period cramps i've ever had, but not really any worse than period pains i had before pregnancy! Def not BH though.
    Also a fair bit of pain down below - that 'i've been riding a bike over bumpy ground' feeling that someone mentioned on here the other day. Don't know if you're getting that too?
    I'm seeing my mw tomorrow, so hoping she'll be able to help, but if this is early labour, i wish it would hurry up and get going properly!!
  • Options
    ooh at least you know you will have your baby very soon! Is it your first?
  • Options
    mrs c06, i mentioned the feeling of riding a bike and i was pleased to be told baby is 3/5 engaged and that that is why i have this pain! its quite uncomfortable isnt it? especially when gettin up and out of bed, off sofa etc!!
  • Options
    i thought that was a really apt way of describing it, it's a nightmare! but if it means that things are moving in the right direction, then i'm happy to put up with it!
    i find it really bad getting in and out of the car - it makes me groan like an old lady! and turning over in bed too. my husband thinks he's married a 90 year old with arthritis!!
    i'm going to the mw tomorrow, so i'm hoping she'll tell me that baby's engaged. 3/5 engaged sounds good - does that mean baby's arrival is fairly close hollylizzy, or did they say it could still take a while?
  • Options
    im being induced on tues, and having sweep in two days as im 5 days over.im happy with 3/5 as been bouncing on ball like there's no tomorrow!
    im the same with the car, i have to breathe out as i move any which way as it helps the pain! oh its unbearable lol
    goo dluck for tomorrow be interesting to see if youre engaged too! let us know how u get on.how far are you now?
  • Options
    yeah, i'll let you know. Keep your fingers crossed for me! I'm only 37 weeks though, so i may still have 5 weeks of this to go - noooooo.
    good luck for tues, i forgot you'd said you were going to be going in for an induction (pregnancy memory!), at least you know you'll be holding your little one soon, though hopefully he'll decide to come even sooner!
    xx
  • Options
    thanks mrsC, fingers and toescrossed for you, it doesnt get easier does it?!
    xx
  • Options
    I'm getting similar symptoms. I've been describing the pain as similar to that after riding a horse and def is worse in bed when turning over. Most of my pains are at night. Like you've said, It's like period pain and was quite sore early this morning. After it goes I lie in wait for it to return, hoping it might be the start of contractions, but no such luck so far!!
  • Options
    hi debbie image
    when i had my little girl 6 weeks ago, my pains started off like yours, was in early labour with pains coming and going all the time from monday morning, then had a sweep on the tuesday which made the pains get worse but i wasnt dilating, later that night i fell asleep as the pains had gone yet again but then i was woken up at 6 the next morning with strong pains, my widwife then visited me to then tell me that they were not regular and nothing was happening, the pain suddenly got too much to handle so i went to hospital to find i was in established labour and i had her a few hrs l8a image
    so from what u have said, it sounds as though u may be in slow labour! hope everything goes well for you and you have your little one soon. good luck xx
  • Options
    Im having the same thing comes and goes, went to hospital yesterday having to have a CTG and tests as had early signs of preeclampsia (seems ok though) but CTG picked up i was contracting and i felt them and had heavy period pains but now nothing image am 3/5th engaged and my hip is hurting! Moan moan, only 13 days to go for me hope its sooner thoughimage !

fingers crossed for everyone!
  • Options
    It's all stopped!!! No more contractions and period pains gone. Am so dissapointed! Def feel like baby has moved down more - I went for a walk yesterday and felt like it was banging on my pelvis with every step.
    I can sympathise with the turning in bed thing - it's agony!!!
    I don't want another 5 weeks of this!
  • Options
    hey,
    take the respite while you can - mine hasn't let up at all! in fact it's getting worse!!
    spoke to the mw today, apparently i'm lucky cos some people don't even get a twinge before labour! lucky???
    anyway, it's a sign everything's moving in the right direction, but it could still take weeks.
    xx
  • Options
    I hate to say it but I had what you're describing for a week prior to giving birth. My only advice is sleep as much as you can whatever time of day, and treat yourself to a pedicure or a massage. These are the last few days/weeks you'll have to yourself for a long time! Good luck x x
  • Options
    All started up again, having hours of braxton hicks at a time often only 10 mins apart, and constant period type pains. Driving me insane and can't sleep.
  • Options
    I'm 39 weeks tomorrow and I have had the same thing for weeks now, the baby is becoming more and more engaged with each midwife appointment so I'm putting down all the discomfort down to this. I'm soooooo desperate to have this baby before Christmas but it could still be another 3 week! Yuk!
  • Options
    noooooooo! I can't take weeks of this! I had no idea all this came before labour! I'm looking forward to next MW appt on Thurs to see how engaged baby now is.