Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

My detailed WaterBirth Story...

I had a sweep on tues morning (4th aug), I was already experiencing irregular contractions and back pain for a week that was amounting to nothing so I hoped this would do the trick! Well it did.......

I went to bed that night with backache as usual then fell to sleep. I woke up at 3.15 felt fine, done my regular wee trip then nodded off again. Woke up again only 40 minutes later with very painful hips, I got up as too achey to lay there and just pottered about then sat on birthing ball thinking that yet again it was all going to amount to nothing! Then I had what felt like a contraction but I got upset because I wasn't sure as baby was also moving about giving me pain. What felt like a few minutes later I had what was definatly my first real contraction at 4.24am, they then were coming every 5 mins without fail so I carried on bouncing and woke up OH. After only getting 3 contractions I text my mum telling her to be prepared as this is the start, she had a 20 minute drive to ours and was to look after our daughter. Only by 5am I said to OH you better call my mum to get here quick!! I couldnt believe that so soon I was getting them every 5 minutes and they were already getting stronger! Well the wait was agony, it felt like forever waiting for my mum. I called the birthing unit but there was no answer so OH called the labour ward which is just down the corridor from them. When I heard OH tell me the unit was shut I screamed WHY? I was so upset that I would have to use the tiny pool in the labour ward where I delivered Felicity that I just cried then I was having stronger contractions and pressure in my bum!! By this point I was thinking oh shit this baby is coming quick!
Finally my mum arrived, I had a contraction holding onto her half way down the path to the car then I got in. It was so funny on the way to hospital because I was holding onto the handle above the door panting thinking she was coming out and I joked to OH it was like a scene out of a movie!! haha. I was telling him to go faster and overtake cars which is sooo unlike me but he was a good boy and drove sensibly! I was being irrational LOL
I remember the hospital being really dark and quiet, all the midwives came out to see me waiting for me to finish my contraction then put me in a wheelchair, and to my surprise they were taking me to the birthing unit!!! YAY. As we got to the pool room they said to me 'we've opened the birthing unit just for you'. Honestly there was absolutely no one there!
I was examined at about 5,30am and told I was 4cm. I said is that it? I thought I would be further considering the pressure and the midwife told me I was 3cm the day before!
I started using the gas and air whilst waiting for the pool to be filled. OH and I were texting friends and family rather casually informing them that Im in labour. I stayed standing up to help with gravity, OH held my bump and rubbed my back through each contraction as I leant over the top of the bed.
Once I was in the pool I felt very relaxed, I just breathed through each contraction leaning over the edge holding OHs hand. We were having light conversation with the midwives between each contaction, I was so chilled, we were listening to Ten 17 on the radio which was playing all the up to date songs that I like and even had a boogie too haha! OH made me tea and toast, I was snacking on cereal bars and sipping water. For those of you who plan on having a waterbirth you will probably wee several times in the pool like I did as its more hassle geting out again but no one minds. The contractions really started to pick up and were coming every 2minutes lasting 60 seconds. I was examined at 9.45, I had to get out of the pool which was just awful. To have a very strong contraction laying on a bed after being supported by water was the worst pain ever, I was crying my eyes out. No wonder as I was 9cm
Just before I got back in I had another one, I just held onto OH for dear life as the pain was unbearable.
As soon as I was back in I was happy again. But the contractions were coming thick and fast and I was almost dragging my OH in with me. He was so great, giving me words of encouragement and holding my hand, the best birth partner I could ever ask for!
I started to get loads of pressure like way more than I had at home, like I needed a poo but I wasnt sure if I needed to push yet. The midwives were saying listen to your body Fiona. But still I felt unsure until oh my god I was feeling her move down, I felt her move down with each contraction before this but I mean I could tell she was right there! I pushed without stopping for ages, I got another breath through my nose so I wouldnt lose her and carried on pushing through my bum. Then when I stopped I nearly climbed out of the pool as it was the weirdest feeling ever like I just done all that pushing for her to suck back up the birth canal but I was wrong as I heard them say 'you've delivered the head'!!! I was having another contraction but it was a bit of a blurr as they were all telling me 'catch your baby Fiona, sit back, catch your baby'. I didnt know what they were on about until all in the same moment I sat back, saw my baby in the water between my legs, grabbed her, lifted her out and held her as I knelt there in absolute shock!!
Apparantly I was shaking, I didnt take my eyes off of her than I began to say 'I've done it' over and over again.
It was THE most overwhelming, empowering experience of my life. The pain just drifted away after that.
I still held her whilst OH cut the cord, which was tougher then we imagined.
He took Ella whilst I was helped out, I started to get contractions and pressure again due to the placenta, they asked if I would like to push but honestly I had no energy left so I had the injection. I still needed the gas and air for this bit. Luckily I had NO tears, needed no stitches just a little graze.

So Ella K.... was born at 10.30am Wednesday 5th August, weighing 8lb 11.5oz. My pushing stage was just 7 minutes.

Just thought I would share as I know a few girls have been asking about waterbirths. xxx
Picture below:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3219402&l=d99d825138&id=717523022

Replies

• congratulations on the birth of your wee one.. loved your water birth story x
  • :\) Thanks so much for sharing your story and your photo! im really really verging on a water birth is it a huge upheaval having to climb in and out to be examined I know its silly but im a tad shy and have already gotten an oversized tshirt!! lol x
  • Congratulations! I had tears in my eyes reading your report!
  • Awwww what a beauiful story. Congratulations hun and thanks for posting everything in so much detail. I'm going into my local birthing unit to have a tour and get more info about water births later this evening but you've inspired me already image xx
  • Awwww what a beauiful story. Congratulations hun and thanks for posting everything in so much detail. I'm going into my local birthing unit to have a tour and get more info about water births later this evening but you've inspired me already image xx
  • Fiona..... I've just popped over here from TTC to read a few of the stories and i've just read that with tears streaming down my face!!!!!
    It's overwhelming to imagine the amount of joy that you must have felt. I am in awe of all you ladies that give birth and i can't wait to be given the chance to experience it myself!
    Have a wonderful time with little Ella (my grandmothers name actually) and best wishes to you and your massively supportive OH x x