Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

advice please- ive had my sweep

hi all,
had a sweep an hour or so ago and have been having on/off period pains since last night. i really want to avoid induction. what shall i do to encourage him out? has the sweep worked for anyone and do you have any advice.
my bump keeps going really hard at the top which doesnt hurt but restricts my movememnt a bit.

the sweep was awful, i was grabbing the bed so hard it waslike the worst period pain ever, made me a bit anxious about lavour.
she also recommended eating plenty of carbs etc to make sure i have lots of energy.
any tips would be great, thanks

holly
fed up 41 weeks

Replies

• Options
    Hi Holly, I know how you feel, I'm 41+1 today and really want to avoid induction too. My mw has attempted 2 sweeps, the last one being yesterday but as my cervix is not dilated at all she hasn't been able to carry them out. I have tried all the natural inducers but nothing is working. I have an induction date of next wednesday but I am going to see the consultant on Monday and ask if they can give me a few more days until next Friday to induce me as I really want my home water birth.
    I don't know of any other tips other than ones I've read on here sorry but I'm going to make an extra hot chilli tonight and have sex as suggested by mw yesterday. If we stay positive and try to relax I;m sure we'll go into labour naturally and won't have to be induced.
    K x
  • Options
    hi i had a sweep when was 9 days overdue. i was told to have a curry and sex as that can get things moving. i also bounced on ball. went into labour 12 hours later and lo born within 4 hours. good luck x
  • Options
    Awww holly I haven't got any tips as this is my first but hope he gets a move on x x x
  • Options
    hi holly i had a sweep with my little one about 7 weeks ago and i was recomended to have lots on sex and keep moving around, so maybe a long walk might help? hope ur lo makes an appearance soon xx
  • Options
    thanks everyone. will see if oh will oblige later hannah lol but dont blame him if he dont wanna! will go for a long walk again later too
    does anyone know if these period like pains mean anything?
    xx
  • Options
    I had a sweep at 40+5 and they said my cervix was very favourable as i had already started dilating. it didnt hurt at all..i went on to do all the old wives tales to bring him on butn othing worked. I ended up having an induction and had an emergency c-sec!
  • Options
    Them period pains r suppossed to mean ur dialating or your cervix sofetning or something!

xxx