Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

Labour after episiotomy

Hi, was just wondering if those who had an episiotomy were able to give birth again without being cut?
I am absolutely dreading having another episiotomy as I was in so much pain after the last one. My doctor has said that we will definitely try to avoid one although as I still have scar tissue from the previous time, the skin is less stretchy so it may be a possibility. Of course I know there are other reasons it may be neccessary I just wondered if you are more likely to need an episiotomy if you've already had one? x

Replies

• I'm in the same boat as you and have been told there is no definitive answer as to what will happen second time around. Fingers crossed for you. My plan is to do exactly what I am told re pushing etc and make it clear when I am being delivered that I am worried about tearing again. I am sure they do all they can anyway to stop tearing etc but you never know what will help.

good luck
  • I had a terrible time after episiotomy and tearing with first baby but have just had second baby (this time 10lb 3oz) with just tearing no cut and the difference is amazing. Last time couldn't sit down without tears in my eyes for 6 months. This time healed after a couple of weeks and was much less painful.

Hope everything goes well for you. PMA helps I think (and steering clear of the epidural made a big difference for me)

Katie x
  • Hi i had an episiotomy with my son 2 years ago and i was in total agony. I had my daughter 5 months ago and although i had a 3rd degree tear it didnt hurt half as much. So yes it is possible x x x
  • Hi, I had an episiotomy with my first 18 months ago & with my second I didn't...I had a tear each side, tearing next to the epi scar as the skin doesn't stretch but I only needed a few stitches & I feel I have healed alot better this time.
    xxx
    http://bf.lilypie.com/qYRe0/.png

http://b2.lilypie.com/RRvn0/.png

• Thanks for all your replies. I do feel reassured hearing your experiences and really hope I don't have to have an episiotomy again. It's something I've been worrying about every day as the agony I was in after labour last time is still fresh in my mind.
    Katie, what is a PMA?x