Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

do sweeps work????

hi,
i am in real pain with this baby, i cant walk or even lie on my side with out constant aches and pains in my muscles at top of legs and bum, so i am thinking about asking for a sweep? do they work? thankx xx

Replies

• I am due on Sunday and had a sweep yesterday. BIG OUCH and tears to my eyes and apart from a bit of mucous and few cramps after nothing !! Certainly not worked for me (or Mrs who had one last week and was still hanging on this morning)
  • I'm discussing having a sweep on Tuesday.... i've heard they aren't pleasant. What do they do and is it really uncomfy? Is it similar to when they tell you how many cm dilated you are.... i've heard thats not nice either!!
  • The Dr got me to lay on my back and then gave me an internal. She managed to get 1 finger through my cervix and wiggled it around for about 30 secondsimage Hurt like hell at the time but from others experiences it isn't always like that, think it depends how 'open and ready' you are at the time. Was worth a try even if no result yet.......:\?
  • I had a sweep wiv babe no3 on the Friday evening and my waters went at 2am on the Sunday Morning and i gave birth at 6.07am on that Sunday. Does depend on how soft the cervix is and how far forward it is - Softer and further forward is good as it means it's getting ready. Anythings worth a try as they say....good luck!! xx
  • Oh, am now on babe no4 and due date is today but this one seems far too bloody comfortable in there. Had 2 of my kids wiv me when had mw appt on thurs so didn't ask bout a sweep - wishing I had now....image
  • I had 2 sweeps last week (tuesday & friday), had mucas and stomach ache with both. Simular feeling to a smear. Hasn't worked with me and my midwife said the second time round that my cervix was soft, most of the plug was gone and she could feel my waters and the baby's head but still nothing. Booked in this monday for induction. It worked with alot of my friends just not me lol :\)