Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

recovering from a c section

I was wondering how long it takes to recover from a c section. The books all seem to say one thing but I was hoping to hear some real life storys. How long till you can look after baby properly, is help needed at home and for how long? When can you drive/have sex again etc etc? any advise please? x x x x :\?

Replies

• Hi

I had an emergency section at 9.50 pm on a Tuesday. I needed help that night from the midwives to feed my baby (he is breast fed - if you are bottle feeding they take the baby and sort that out for you so you can sleep the first night at my hosp) and to change him. I was walking about and had a shower at lunchtime the next day and could pick up feed and change Reece myself. I was out of hosp on the Friday lunchtime. Went shopping in town pushing my pram on the Sunday. I can honestly say that I was fine afterwards, the only 2 things that hurt was the first time I sneezed and the first time I went up hill with the pram my partner had to take over. The midwive told me not to drive for 6 weeks and said that if you feel ok and do drive check with your insurance first as you may not be covered for this period. I didnt bother driving as it was lovely just after I had Reece so I did loads of walking. Good luck Jo x
  • Forgot to say, my mum & my partner did the housework for a couple of weeks and my mum did my washing and ironing too. I think I physically would have been ok to do it after about a week but I was so tired because Reece used to feed all day and all night. I had sex after 8 weeks, again I probally would have been ok sooner but was too tired (and still am most of the time lol) x
  • Hi, i have now had 2 emergency c sections and both times i was up and about the next day. I got help with the house work for a few weeks, but i was able to do some laundry and wash dishes etc. I found great relief when i got my staples out i was able to wear some of my clothes again. you'll b back 2 normal in no time.

Good luck.
  • hi, well it does take at least 6 weeks before the scar heals properly, it soon passes though.
    I was told that after 6 weeks you can drive (depending on how you feel), but i had to wait for my 6wk check-up by midwife before having sex.
    Dont rush anything cos i did, and it resulted it my stitches comming slightly undone!! which turned 6wks into 10!
    Also dont worry if your scar becomes itchy, mine still itches every now and then and its nearly 3yrs old!
    Hope i havn't worried you, hopefully your healing process will be nothing like mine-just remember everyone is different, hope this helps? x
  • Hi i had a elective section lo was breech i was up & about the next day & shopping 2 days later think its alot easier if you are having an elective cos you don't have the hours of labour before it.Its a great excuse to get out of doing house work cos you can't oh was off for 3 wks then my mum took 3 wks holidays when he went back to work was fab & a real help!