Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

Doula?

Hi, the longer I have off work on Mat leave the more I don't want to go back! I'm really considering becoming a doula and was wondering what mums thought of them? Is anyone planning to use a doula or have you already used one? What kind of services did they offer? Were they trained in homeopathy or aromatherapy/massage ect? Thanks. x x

Replies

• Hi there
    I would love to have a doula during my labour, but they are so expensive. I have been going to preg yoga for months now and she is a trained doula as well as preg treatments and massage etc.sounds a lot of training.
  • what is a doula?? enlighten me please. is it an indian thing, i know mothers in india get a massage everyday for 6 months after giving birth. sounds wonderful.
  • Hi there

I live abroad (in Thailand) and have appointed a doula to support me through labour as hubby has a very real phobia of anything remotely medical (even my routine trips to the hospital scare him stupid). There was no reason for me to fly back to the UK to have the baby as the hospital care here is first class; none of my friends or family could come out to support me because of their own familes or work commitments.

My doula is Fillapino but there are three who work with the international community in Bangkok - the other two are American. I have yet to give birth (due next week) but so far I have had two meetings with the doula to discuss my birthplan - she was SO helpful as she's helped me to make sure the English is simple enough for a non-native speaker.

Some doulas are trained in alternative therapies - one of the ladies here is trained in yoga, massage and aromatherapy. I think that these are lovely things to be able to offer, along with reflexology so you could offer to help move things along if the baby decides to come late.

Jo
  • Thanks for replies! Cathy, a doula is a female companion during labour. Research says that a labouring woman with a female companion has less chance of medical intervention if that's what she wants.
    I was lucky enough to be assigned a student midwife who I saw through out my pregnancy and who delivered me at home.

Best of luck MrsJoJo, and the reflexology works by the way. I was 5 days late and I'm certain that did the trick for me.