Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Waterbirth and the cord!

Hi Girls,

All being well with me and baby I would really like a home waterbirth, but am a bit confused by what happens with the cord/placenta?

Can someone tell me what happens with it all.

Is the babys cord cut straight after birth?
Is the placenta delivered while still attached to cord and baby?
Or do you just have this cord hanging out of your mooey/lady garden for ages until you deliver the placenta?

Any info/experiances you could give me would be great image

Thanks xxxx

Replies

• Hi there

I had a homewaterbirth 4 months ago (my 4th waterbirth) and to answer your questions you can really do what you want, what ever feels best for you.
    1 the cord can be cut right away or left til it stops pulsating.
    2 no they usally cut the cord before the placenta is delivered but yes the cord does just "hang out" til the placenta is delivered usally about 10-15 mins later. It can be delivered in the pool or you can get out. and you can deliver it naturally or have the injection.

home waterbirths are the best.
    best of luck.
    xx
  • double post :lol:

[Modified by: michelle07 on August 26, 2009 08:29 PM]

• The cord and placenta would be delivered the same in a water birth at home/hospital as aany othe rbirth - as Michelle07 has described but you really are not aware of the cord etc once you lo has arrived. I couldn't tell you how or when mine was delivered I was too busy cuddling and staring in amazement at what I had just born!!! image