Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Urine infection, not labour!

Just wanted to tell my story of the last few days as could happen to anyone!

I went to bed early on Sunday night (39+4 then) feeling a bit strange, woke up at 10.30 then again at 1.00 and was violently sick, with hot sweats and shivers. Rang the midwife unit to see what I should do, they said as long as I wasn't having contractions, hadn't lost any blood or fluid, and could feel baby moving normally, then they weren't concerned overnight and I should ring them in the morning.

By the morning I was no better, had been sick almost hourly overnight and couldn't keep any fluids down. Since 4.30am I'd had this incredible back pain, just couldn't get comfortable. I put my TENS machine on and tried to go back to sleep, thinking this is it now, things must be starting.

When I rang the midwife unit again in the morning, they said it sounded like I had a stomach bug, therefore didn't want me to go there to be assessed or come out to me in case I passed on the bug, fair enough. They said if I was still being sick by lunch time, and the back pain hadn't changed then I should see my GP. Still thought I was possibly in early labour as back pain was really bad and starting to radiate round into the front of my hips and pelvis. No real contractions though. I was still being sick though and worried about getting enough fluids in me for the baby- especially as I was convinced I was gonna be having it that night!

Thankfully managed to get a GP appointment, she was lovely. Immediately diagnosed a severe urine infection, probably spreading to my kidneys which would explain the back ache. She prescribed antibiotics and paracetamol and told me to go to bed with a hot water bottle and try to sleep. Anyway, since I started the antibiotics I've felt progressively better, managed to sleep last night and the back pain has now completely gone!

So I wasn't in labour after all. But at least I got lots of practise of coping with the pain. I was using all my yoga positions, keeping upright and mobile and hubby was practising his massage techniques! So reckon when it does happen for real we'll know vaguely what to do!
So look out for symptoms that you may put down to labour, I feel really lucky that I caught this early or I could have been much worse by today. Now just have to keep waiting for lo to make an appearance...
Niki 39+6

Replies

• Options
    oh thats such a shame for you, esp since your so far on and prob thought your lo would soon be here!!

but as you say, at lest you got some practice in x
  • Options
    Hi Niki! Sorry it wasn't labour, but glad ur feeling better now. Hope you're fully recovered before lo decides to make an arrival! Love Rachel XXX
  • Options
    Thanks guys - feeling much better. Antibiotics are amazing! Now 1 day past due date and starting to feel ready for it all now so bring it on!
    Niki.