Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

OT - NHS across the country

This is slightly OT so forgive me. I hope you can help me.

I am going back to work as a teacher next week and have been given some Year 13 (18 years) General Studies lessons. Anyway I am covering a number of different topics, one of which is "NHS - postcode lottery?".

What I would like is some real life case studies of your experience with the NHS. I am concentrating on three main subjects:

1) Availability of chemotherapy drugs - were you/friend/relative denied certain drugs that were available privately or elsewhere in the country?
2) Birth centres - did you have access to homebirth or midwife-led unit if you wanted it? Did you have access to a birthpool if you wanted it?
3) Special care babies - if your baby needed special care was it available at your local hospital? Did you and/or LO need to be transferred?

I do not want to go back over old threads as those people posted in privacy. If you post here I will assume you are ok for me to use your story. They will, of course, remain anomalous and I won't even mention this site. I just need some real-life case studies.

Thank you very much in advance, :\)
H xx

Replies

• Options
    Not sure if its what you are looking for but im from sunderland. There are no birthing or midwife led centres. The only option is giving birth in the labour ward. Which does not have any birthing pools. So very limited as to my options really!

Hope its some help.
  • Options
    not sure if its 100% wat u want either but...

1. i didnt get a choice of where i had my baby- i was told to have him in hospital
    2. i wasnt told i could have a water birth- i had to find out for myself and ask in advance
    3. i had to beg to be referred to a physiotherapist because of my SPD
    4. midwife told me i was too happy to be in labour so sent me home- without checkin if i was dilated (i was) then had to be rushed in to hospital 2hrs later by ambulance lol...

but the midwives and care i received in hospital was absolutely amazing, i loved it.... Frimley Park Hospital- Surrey

oh.. there was a special care baby unit but i didnt need it thankfully...

[Modified by: Sophie_Zaki on September 17, 2009 01:05 AM]

• Options
    Hi, I'm in Bucks and the local hospitals are High Wycombe and Stoke Mandeville.

This year the whole set up is changing, so instead of both midwife and consultant let wards on both sites Stoke will be consultant and Wycombe will be MW. This is not quite in effect yet, but it means that come November if you are low risk so at Wycombe, and it suddenly goes a bit wrong they have to transfer you. It also means if you think you may need an epidural you will need to be booked in at Stoke

I gave birth at Wycombe. They have one labour ward, and one room has a pool which I got to use. There is also an inflatable pool (they bought this before installing the other pool to see if it was worth it) so if the other is in use you can use the inflatable.

My community mw was good, she talked through options and suggested a homebirth (no, ta!)

Antenatal classes was ok- the mw who took those did a tour of Wycombe at the same time and went through natural births, intervention, water births.... I felt pretty well informed

I will say, just to confuse the issue slightly, we actually decided to use another hospital altogether which comes under Berkshire, but changed our minds. They have a labour ward and a birth centre, and the birth centre is very different. It doesn't have beds but beanbags and foam couchy things which is quite cool

Something else to bear in mind re postcode lotteries- in my area we are entitled to a 12 week and 20 week scan, and they can tell you the baby's sex (not a guarantee). I know in Bath they only do a 20 week scan on NHS, and in Herts and Beds will not tell you the sex xx

• Options
    Hi I'm from carlisle cumbria, secound baby. I had first at cumberland infirmary consultant/ midwife led unit. Was induced and didn't have the best birth although was over quickly and baby fine.They did have a Birth pool, now broken and not being replaced! This time round want to have baby at Penrith birth centre a very small unit midwife led with no doctors. I f need extra help/ intervention you are transfered by ambulance to Carlisle. However due to growth scans etc they are not very keen on delivering me there. I am going to wiat and see but may be quite insistant especially after last experience. I personnally feel the Nhs does not work together as an organisation and tends to slag off other sites areas, which cause confusion for mums and dads and inconsistencies in care across the country. Mums and dads need to know the system and what they want to be able to ask for the care they deserve. I think this should not be the case and all facilities that are conducive and known to aid a good birth and outcome should be available to all pregnant women across the country.