Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

clary sage

hi ladies. i have just bought some RLT capsules and some clary sage oil to try and encourage things a bit. does anyone know how much of the clary sage oil i should put in the bath? i don't want to put too much in!!

thanks for any help, manda x

Replies

• Options
    Put about 5 drops in the bath, if using it to massage 2 drops to 10ml of carrier oil, but be careful, i'm convinced it really works!! Had irregular contractions going all day tuesday, had a bath with clary sage, then massaged my bump with it about 5pm on tuesday, contractions picked up, by 8pm every 5 minutes, had Philip 10.17am on Wednesday!

Not sure that rlt worked as i started taking it at 35wks and went to 40+2.

Good luck!
  • Options
    i took rlt from 35 weeks too and i went to 41+1. clary sage didnt work for me either, i started putting loads in my bath! and oh massaged bump with it in baby oil every night before bed for about 3-4 weeks. i ended up with a sweep which did work as i went into labour 6 am the next morning although the rlt failed me here..ended up with forceps!

hope it works for u, i no people that swear by the stuff!! xx
  • Options
    To help the oil disperse in the bath; put 5 drops in a cup of full-fat milk before adding the lot just before you get in.
    The fats in the milk help the oil to mix with the water rather than just float on top.
    Aromatherapy works by evaporation so adding the oil too soon before you get in the hot water means that the oil will have started to evaporate before you even get in the bath.

Also, you need to stay in the bath for at least 15 mins to allow an essential oil to penetrate your skin.

Good luck x
  • Options
    Thanks for your advice on this girls (& for asking the question Rainbowmummy!) I was just about to put a post on here asking exactly the same thing.

I've heard it's also useful to use during the labour itself? xx

http://bd.lilypie.com/KmfHp1/.png