Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

What does a sweep feel like?

Hi ladies,

I'm due next Tues and am booked in for a sweep that same day if my labour hasn't started by then.

I'm just wondering whether the procedure is quite uncomfortable & what to expect? Does it take very long? And should I be prepared for any bleeding afterwards?

Many thanks for your advice xx

http://bd.lilypie.com/KmfHp1/.png

Replies

• Not sure what its like, but its a good question. Would really like to know myself. I've got a feeling i'm gonna go overdue myself. Hope someone replies! XXX
  • I went 10days overdue with ellie and had a sweep at 7 days over. They did mine at home and asked me to lay on my bed and make a fist under the lower part of my back to tilt your pelvis then they do the sweep. I found it a bit uncomfortable as it depends where abouts ur cervix is the only thing i could compare it to was having the internal scan done and where they move it around to check your ovaries.
    It wasn't painful just uncomfortable and made me feel a bit sore after.
    Do expect bleeding i saw that the mw had some on her gloves and where i had laid a towel down there was some there to, there was never enough to fill a pad thou- but u will need one!

Good luck hope it works!
    xxx

[Modified by: lilac* on February 08, 2008 08:26 AM]
  • I had one with my 4th, it wasnt painful, was just like having a smear test. Its better if your relaxed so try not to worry. x
  • Dont have a full bladder!!!!!1 I wasnt expecting mine and panicked so was very tense and thought i cant ask if i can go for a wee becouse then he is going to have to well you know what i mean so i think mine was more uncomfortable becouse i thought i was going to wet myself!!!!!!!!!!
  • I had two (neither worked by the way). The first at home was uncomfortable but actually not that bad as was relaxed. Bit of blood, nothing much at all really. The second, at hospital, was excrutiating and I cried. Think was beacuse not as relaxed or maybe the midwife not as good as my first one. Not exactly the nicest thing to have but then labour isn't also!!! (although had emergency c section so only laboured a few hours) Good luck, hope I havent scared you. Deep breathes and relax
  • i'm hoping i'm not going to have to be induced or anything, had a feeling since about 16 weeks that lo is goign to arrive early like i did! hopefully he wants to see the easter bunny!! (he due the week after!!!)
    http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/11/1121/112106.png

• I had 4 in the end. Yes, 4! (Whip out your violins, poor, poor me!) Actually they weren't that bad, nothing to worry about. Bit like a smear test really. Made me a bit achey, a bit like period pains. Westbrom is SO right - make sure you've had a wee first!
    Oh, and sorry if it's not what you want to hear but none of them made a jot of difference because my baby was just too damn comfy in there...!!
    Hope yours goes well... xx
  • Haha, that's what I'm expecting Trackieann - from what I can make out, they don't seem to work for many people!! Oh well, worth a try...

Thanks for your advice girls xx
  • Just had my sweep and it really wasn't as bad as i thought it would be!! Not really painful... just a weird feeling right at the top of my vagina... like when you have really deep sex lol (tho without the thrusting!)! The only thing that was slightly odd was the midwife who did it liberally poured lube over her fingers with a strange look on her face! creepy! hehe!

Lucy X
  • Oh no Lucy, I hope I don't get a MW like that!!! Hope it works for you hun, keep us updated xx