Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

first baby and no classes till 20 days before due!

Hello all,

I'm 31 weeks pregnant and think i have only just really come to terms with it!

I recieved a letter from my local hospital the other week saying they were really sorry but the earliest they could get me in to classes was the 4th October. I'm due on the 22nd of October!

At the time i was annoyed but again i don't think i was quite facing real lifeyet. Only this morning when i figured it was about time i packed my hospital bag that it dawned on me.
On the hospital list was the Birth plan. I have never looked at it before. So now i am completely scared.

I have been reading about the different types of Births. I think i want a water one, but i'm not sure.

Can any one point me in the directon of things i should learn at the classes just in case i'm early?

:\?

Replies

• Try not to worry too much hun. I didnt go to birthing classes with either of my 2 & I wont be going to them in this pregnancy either (my choice). What I would say though is to read magazines, dont be afraid to ask your midwife questions when youre at your appointments & also dont be afraid to discuss any fears or aprehensions you may have no matter how small or silly they may seem. The ladies on here are great & you can be sure that there is always someone who can relate to what your going through or how you might feel about certain things.

Good luck & if you have any questions dont be araid to ask xx
  • my classes wher meant to start on the 6th for 4 weeks but it was cancelled and put back till the 13th but i ended up in hospital and missed it and i was told to wait till the next set start on the 10th Sept i'm due on the 15th i'm so not happy about it as i was really looking forward to then too.

http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/17/1767/176730.png

[Modified by: Lija on August 25, 2008 12:37 PM]

• hi as the other girls have said dont worry, go though the site and see what you can find then make a list of everything else and take it to your midwife. and remember we are all here for you so just ask us anything ther is always someone to ask take care xxjojoxx 34+5
  • well to be honest shug i found them a waste of time with my first i went to 2! they tell you the basic text book how a baby is born and how to breathe, and as for a birth plan 99% of the time it goes out of the window, i found that listerning to you body if it tells you to push you push if you body tells you to pant you pant and anyway when your giving birth a midwife will really give you encouragment and tell you what to do! bare in mind no pregnancy or birth is the same and when your in pain you forget about what the hell your doing and need reasurance from a midwife so i woundnt worry if you get to the classes or not

• Hi Everyone,

Well i'm well p****d off, my stupid cow of a midwife has booked me for classes on the 30th oct (my due date), when i told her that she said oh dear but all other classes are full. GGGGGGRRRRRR, she's not bothered that i won't have any classes. My mums cousins a midiwfe so might see if i can get advice from her. But i really don't like my midwife xxx
  • mine was at 36 weeks and to be honest i didn't learn anything more than whats in books and on the internet, i thought it was a complete waste of time!

http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/19/1996/199613.png