Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

Vaginal delivery after 3rd degree tear?

As the title says really! With my daughter, 22 months ago i had a 3rd degree tear. It didnt heal well and about 9 months ago i had a repair. Anyway im 5 months pregnant now and need to decide if i want a c sec or vaginal delivery with its potential problems (re tearing and incontinence). Of course i could have vaginal delivery and it all be fine. Just not sure if i want to risk it.
I really enjoyed my first delivery and didnt know i had torn until they told me after. Im really scared of a c sec, but equally as scared of baing incontinent in the future!
Thank you for your thoughts.

Sarah x

Replies

• I had a 3rd degree tear with my first (but healed fine) I have since had 3 others and have not needed a stitch with any of them!!!
    Good luck what ever you choose.
  • Hi Sarah

We have spoken on one of the other forums. As you know I had a third degree tear with my first. With my second I also tore - second degree that time and nowhere near as painful or awkward as the third degree tear and obviously nowhere near as much damage done. However my mum had a third degree tear when she had me (the eldest) and absolutely nothing with my two sisters. I think there are many factors that can contribute to whether or not you will tear again.

Second time around my decision to have a vaginal birth again was pretty easy as my consultant said there was no reason not to and that was what I wanted.

I have also now had my fentons procedure and I have been told it is likely they will recommend a CS next time (I think it's pretty much standard that they recommend CS after having a Fentons), but my midwife said there is no reason not to have a vaginal birth next tme round if I want to. Obviously is not an issue yet as I am not even thinking about a third for a while, but I do occaisionally wonder what I will do. Second time round I had a homebirth and it was great. First time round I was in hospital and had a bit of a rough time so I would much prefer a homebirth to going into hospital but like you also worry about any further damage down there.

What has your consultant and MW recommended?

I think for me personally CS would be the way to go. Being stitched up down there three times already I don't think I would want to go there a fourth (or risk a fifth if I were to need another Fentons). But who knows I may change my mind when the issue actually arises as I know I would ideally rather have another HB.

Good luck with your decision I understand it's a bit of an awkward one.