Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

anyone know about chicken pox????

hey ladies,
i took my 5 yr old to school this morning to discover half the class is off with chicken pox,
i`ve had them, but my son hasnt yet and has been in close contact with the kids who have gone down with it. should i be worried or not?

sorry to sound like a worry wort, but i only know your supposed to stay clear for the first 3 months, but after that i`m not sure.

any advice would be great,
thanks
jo xx

Replies

• hi, how far gone are you???? if your sons going to get it he will already have the infection in his system, it is most contagious the 3 days before the spots appear, and then can take anything up to 3 weeks to actually get spots.
    they say it can cause problems first 3 months and last 2 months (as baby can be born with them), but you said you have had them so this dramatically reduces the risk of your baby getting them.

as far as you 5 yo goes, just keep an eye on him, you never know he might not even get them.
  • hi charlm,
    i`m 36 weeks today, and not due to see my midwife til next week, tho i was supposed to be going with my son to a pregnancy group today and just phoned up and cancelled on the off chance i passed it on to any other poor mums.
    apparently most of the kids were fine yesterday in school and became spotty over night, so i guess the bug has been floating about for around 3 weeks already.

just worried what happens if my son does get them now?

thanks
    jo xx
  • If you have had them then don't worry, there is no risk to you or your baby. Check out the info on this site http://www.womens-health.co.uk/chickpox.asp xxx