Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

told boy but ended up a girl or vice versa?

Luckily it didn't happen to me the first time round because i was told i was having a boy and they showed me on the screen that he was. (he really didn't care about showing his little bits off). This time round they said it looks like a girl but they didn't sound too convinced to me so i've gone for all the nutural colours just in case. Has anyone actually been told their having a certain sex, gone out and bought them colours just to go and have the baby and it be the opposite? I was so badly wanting to go all crazy and buy everything pink and lacey but knowing my luck i would have done sothen ended up having a boy. lol. xxx

http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/18/1805/180526.png

Replies

• I think it's just harder to be so sure with a girl. We were told Gracie was a girl at 20week scan like this 'in my opinion it looks like a girl...but don't buy any pink' ?!?!
    We wanted to go pink mad too but didn't...then we cheated and had a 4dscan for confirmation!
    My sil's just done the same thing for reassurance as she 2 boys too like me and now a girl due Sept.
    Any chance of having a 4d?!
  • I would love to have a 4d scan but the closest place for me to have one is manchester and my oh says he'd rather wait and see anyway because theres still that little surprise with not knowing for certain. If it wasn't for the fact that i need him to get me there i'd probably go behind his back and do it just to see the baby again before she came. Sounds mean i know but if you could buy scanning equipment i would get a loan out and buy one from the start of my pregnancy. lol. Poor thing would never be left alone. xxx

http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/18/1805/180526.png

• I have not had a baby, but 1 of my friends had this happen to them. They were told they were having a girl at 2 of the scans and ending up having a boy! They went pink mad and the little boy went home in a pink spotty babygrow! When they said its a boy, she told the midwife she was wrong and asked to have a look before she would beleive her! She does laugh about it now, but was a little confusing and stressful at the time.
  • this hasnt happened to me but i know of people that it has happened to, my sisters friend bought everything in blue but she had a girl. it must be very stressful for this happen if you have bought everything in pink/blue.when i had my 20 week scan i was told they thought it was a girl but couldn't be sure, i think they have to say that to cover their backs x
  • I agree with Hannah & Tegan they usually just say that to cover their backs. There is a little notice on the scan room door in my hospital that says we will try our best to see the sex but cannot give any guarantees of what it is. So unless the baby really is showing it all off, they never say "it's a boy/girl", they always add a bit of doubt. We were told at our 20 week scan that it was "maybe a boy" - we bought blue anyway lol- but had a 4D scan for confirmation & he was indeed a boy & decided to show it all off at the 4d scan lol x
  • Well at my 20 week scan my lo was on all fours and they couldnt see its bits really but they saw what looked like a hook could be his little willy or the cord and they said they think its a boy but they arent 100% sure they werent in the slightest convincing!
  • hiya, with my lo we were told she was a girl and when asked how sure the woman said "im not allowed to say 100% but you can throw your recipts away" and sure enough we had a girl. I am now pregnant again and at our 20weeks scan the woman said she was "fairly sure" were having a girl but she was no where near convincing so who knows!we haven't gone pink mad as have alot of things that my dd dint wear so were staying safe. Plus the fact that this pregnancy feels alot different for me then with my dd. iv put on more weight in different places, i feel bigger, im carrying differently, baby is moving a hell of a lot more etc etc. We cant see the point in wasting so much money on a 4d scan so its wait and see for us !
  • i wont be told the rong sex as im waitin to find out whether or not my baby is a boy or a girl when he/she is born in november, we just buy neutral and somethings for a boy and somethings for a girl if i have a girl i can give my things to my mum or brother coz there both having boys in sept n nov. katiexx
  • i know a girl who with twins was told a boy and a girl. she had 2 boys and was bit gutted!!!

d xxx
  • i was told with both of mine and they were right both times
    this time round we live some where that dosnt tell you so we are going to have a 4D scan done in 3 weeks x
  • Its very rare but one of my oh's workmates had his baby a few days after us and he was told they were having a boy but he actually had a girl xx