Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

41 weeks 1st baby - still waiting

I have been very lucky and have had a healthy pregnancy although I am carrying a lot of fluid. I'm 41 weeks tomorrow and booked in for induction on Thursday. I would really like to go into labour myself I have tried everything raspberry leaf tea/curry/sex/hot baths nothing has worked even had sweep last Monday but still nothing. Would love to go out walking and have tried but the fluid is so bad I have constant pain in my ankles and legs, the midwife said she is quite suprised my blood pressure is so good as the body should be struggling to carry all this fluid. Any wee tips would be great I defo would love baby to come on its own before Thursday as I really dont want to be induced. At my last visit the midwife told me I am going to have a big baby and if induction doesnt work they would give me a section I would hate to go through all the stages of labour only to have to have c-section at the end.

Replies

• Hi there, I know exactly how you feel - although I am only 4 days overdue I have been in alot of pain for the last few months. My other 2 babies were 10lb+. They were both 11 days overdue and I had to be induced. Everyone has been saying since November 'you won't go all the way, the baby will come early' - but I knew fine well that the same thing would happen. Only one midwife has admitted to me this time that the baby is quite big but as I delivered the others' on my own they won't intervene unless of an emergency - don't get yourself in a tizzy about a possible section - you never know how things will turn out - your body may cope fine with a big baby or your lo may not be as large as they think...whatever happens during labour, just remember it will be what's best for you and baby - that's the important thing. As for getting labour started, I have also tried everything you mentioned - only managed one walk due to SPD and had a sweep on Thursday (nothing major happening yet) - I am now convinced that it will only start when your body is ready - it may just be a coincidence that it happens after a curry etc. Anyway I am being induced on Friday and I can't see lo appearing before that...i hope all goes well with you and I'm sure it won't be too long... image