Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

My birth story - super long :)

Ok, here goes my birth story!!

My water broke on Thursday 1st at 12:05, technically they class that as being Friday. It didn't gush but it was more like a trickle, so I was completely unsure. We called the Maternity assessment unit and they toldme to come in when I could, no rush, just take my time. I eventually went in at 11am and was checked and it was confirmed my waters had broken! I was placed on the monitor for 45mins to check baby and told that if nothing happened in 72 hours, I would be induced. And so began 3 days of waiting and being monitored. Trudging to the hospital everyday was not so much fun, and waiting was agonising!!

So, Monday morning, 7am came around and I went to Basildon hospital to be induced. We were greeted with a pitbull of a midwife which sent me into tears. Then I thought I had forgotten my notes so hubby went home for them - turns out they were in a different bag and I had them all along! I was placed on a monitor for an hour to check me over, and in the meantime was introduced to my first two midwifes, Leslie and Lisa (a trainee). Everything was explained to me and at about 10 I wasgiven my first lot of gel. And then we waited. And waited. And waited.

At 2 a new midwife came on shift, Zoe, equally as lovely and calming as the other 2. At 3pm she checked me - I was 1cm - Joy!!!

Another 5hrs passed, and Zoe checked me again - I was 3cm!! She also performed a sweep while she was there to see if she could hurry things along, which hurt A LOT!!

Midnight came and went and still I had no pain, just a bad backache, which Zoe explained could be my version of contraction. I had been put back on the monitor again and it showed I was actually contracting!!!

It got to 3am and the nexzt midwife, Claire was on shift. In the meantime, a lot of activity had been happening on the delivery ward! 5 babies were born in asmany hours and the lady next door to me hadn't even made it to the delivery room, so we had the pleasure of listening to her give birth!! Claire said it was prob best hubby went home to get some rest and we would sort me out in the morning, I was to rest to. So about 3:30 hubby left me to it.

At 4am though, my other waters broke, and it is true about the popping sound! As soon as that happened I felt a surge of pain. I had put my Tens on around 1am on the midwifes advise, so I amped it up when the pain came - it worked quite well! 3 mins later I got another surging pain, eek! Again, 3 mins later, another pain, so I called the midwife. Her word were -it's only been 2 pains, we will hold off calling your husband until they get closer' - WHAT??!! I was in agony and needed hubby with me, so after 3 more pains, I called him. He had just got into bed and was really sleepy, so didn't actually understand I wanted him to come to the hospital straight away! I got off the phone and after having another 2 pains, looked at my phone and there was a text asking me whether he should come now or not! Argh!! I sent one back just saying YES NOW!!! He walked in 15mins later to me leaning over the sink trying to breathe through the pain, which by now was really NOT being sorted by the TENS!!

Poor hubby had no clue really what to do as I wandered up and down, the midwife came in and asked if I was ok, I of course said no! She said she would go and get a monitor for me, oh joy - monitored during this pain! I got hubby to time the contractions, and 5 of so mins later the midwife came back and asked if he was timing, he said yes, the last one was 1min 40 apart - Oh my goodness!! Another midwife came in as I was just going to the loo and asked if I wanted to try gas and air, yes please!! She also said that she would check me. So, onto the bed a dragged myself, and through the next contraction the midwife asked if I wanted any other pain relief - yes! I cried, pethedine!!

So the midwife checked me, and then it was all real - -You are ready to have your baby, you cant have any other pain relief' - and then all hell broke loose! The contractions were on top of each other and as I was wheeled to the delivery room all I could think of was the lovely gas and air that I had left behind and wanted to find out where it was in this new room!

The midwife ran in and introduced herself as Juliet - a FANTASTIC midwife. She said all the right things and really got me through. She got hubby really involved as well, making him hold me up as she wanted me to squat to get the head down and getting him to encourage me. It's true what they say, listen to EVERYTHING your midwife says, it's better for you in the long run!!
The most awful thing she said was -no more gas and air, the pain is for pushing now' - I was terrified, but your body truly takes over and all focus is on those pushes.
So, after 50mins of pushing, a head popped out, and the next push, she arrived!! 102 mins of labour and I had my beautiful girl in my arms - and I couldn't have been more proud of her, myself and my husband ??????

Replies

• what a lovely birth story, i love reading them, well done hun and congrats on your little girl x x
  • that's a really great story - makes me feel more positive about my impending labour!! Big congrats again!

Em x

40+3
  • Well done. You are right to be proud. I dont know how i would have coped with all that waiting around then the sudden rush at the end!!! I wish you and your new family all the best.
  • Awww congrats hun

xxx

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev203pr___.png

• Congrats image what is your little girl called and how much did she weigh?
    i love reading birth stories too hayley x x
  • How wonderful, Well done all!!!. How far prefgnant were you when it started?
  • what a lovely birth story!! Hope you are all doing well hun and take care xx
  • ah thats a lovely birth story - I'm terrified of lbour but I'm glad to hear that your body takes over as I'm constantly fretting about what will happen.
    Hope your doing well.

Lisa.
    9+3
  • Congrats on your new arrival, silverlwinter - well done!
    Remember to visit our Birth stories section here http://www.babyexpert.com/Birth/Birth-stories/cat for more true life birth stories from Babyexpert visitors.
    We love to hear them so please feel free to email yours through too if you'd like to see it included in the Birth stories channel.
    Web Ed Nicola

[Modified by: webeditor on January 19, 2009 03:49 PM]