Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

home birth in a flat???

has anyone ever had a home birth in a flat? im concerned neighbours will hear whats going on, has anyone experienced this??

Replies

• Hi Laura I had a home birth plaaned for my second and I live in a flat so what I actually did was tell my neighbours that thats what I was planning and if anyone objected. Noone actually objected and said that was because I did inform them and all were quite supportive.

Unfortunately my daughter came too early to be allowed my home birth.

But I would say even my mw said it wouldnt have been a problem.

Maybe have a chat with a couple of your neighbours to see.

Hope this helps xx
  • Hi Laura, I live in a terrace house and was also concerned so I spoke to both sets of neighbours who were all very understanding. I was in labour all through the sunday night and had my baby at 05.31 Monday morning and neither neighbour heard a thing! It wasn't like I wasn't making any noise either, oh said I was like a caged bear! Good luck.
  • Oh yeah, one thing to consider is the weight of the water pool if you want one and you're not on the ground floor. Just a thought.
  • hi thanks everyone, i am actually on the ground floor so at least thats a bit better, ill wait til ive spoken to mw and see if it would be possible and then ask the neighbours, thanks everyone!
  • hi,
    I live in a semi with very very thin walls. I had a home birth and i seem to recall being quite loud lol. I didnt tell my neighbour i was having a homebirth and a couple of weeks later she saw me in garden with lo and said oh congrats when did you give birth! I told her i had him at home and she said oh i didnt hear anything and she was in at the time!