Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Induction at 38 weeks - experiences please

Hi ladies

I am due to get induced in 2 weeks when I'll be 38 weeks.

Has anyone else been induced at this stage and if so how did it go?

Tx

Replies

• i wasnt induced but went into laboure arly with dd1 at 38 weeks, i just wanted to say good lukc. xxxx
  • I was induced at 38 weeks. They started the process at 4pm on the bank holiday monday and I had Sophie at 22.09 the following day (tuesday). I had two doses of the pesseries and they broke my waters artificially at 6am on the Tuesday morning. Things were going well but I kept vomiting which stopped the contractions. I then had the drip from about 5pm on the Tuesday and it was relitivly quick from then on and I did the whole thing on TENS, gas and air and painkilling tablets. My birth story is in the Due in May forum if you want to have a look.

I think it can be a bit hit and miss though as another girl in May had a failed induction after 4 days at 38 weeks.

Take plenty to read and good luck!
  • I was induced at 38 weeks and after 5 days never had a single contraction, i had 5 pessary's and my waters broken and a drip, but nothing! Ended up having a c-section but it was really calm and i was never scared. It was very dull doing nothing for 5 days tho stuck in hospital, so take something with you to keep you entertained just incase it takes a day or two. xxx
  • Hi Littlewolf

Its my first baby, I'm being induced as I'm a type 1 diabetic.

Tx
  • Friday... pessary... pain, Saturday... pessary... pain, mild contractions... waters broke, Sunday... pessary... pain... tired, pain... drip... epidural... Monday, BABY!

That was my first baby, induced at 38 weeks for IUGR (small for dates). A long haul, but still had a natural birth.

I would say that the effect of induction did make me vomit, and did not eat properly as a result had very little energy. This would be a real problem for you if this was the case, so make sure your Blood sugar is regularly monitored. Hope it goes well. xx
  • my son is now 14 but i was induced at 38 weeks as my waters had gone on the friday took the rubbish hospital i was at that time till the tuesday to induce me, i had 1 gel and it worked straight away, i was in labour a total of 16 hours he was my first. he was back to back too so i was in a lot of pain with that, i had epidural in the end i had him at 4.20am on the wednesday. my son had to go to scbu because he had breathing trouble due to waters going way b4. i was then induced at 37 weeks with my second son as i was leaking waters and i insisted they start me his labour wasn't as painful i coped with just gas and air and i had 1 gel with him too, they broke my waters at 4.03pm and he was born at 6.03pm. im now 31 weeks and this time i have gestational diabetes and he is growing big, he was 3lbs 14oz at 28+5 so i have been told they will be inducing me again at either 37/38 weeks. good luck hun, and i know its easy to say but try and relax thru each contraction does help but hard to do. all the best x