Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Energy Drinks in Labour

Hi anyone tried them. I got an Energy can drink in Netto's yesterday, it says still but when I opened it it looked sparkling, it was in a red can little size. Has anyone found a nice tasting one. It was ok not the greatest but went down a treat with some chocolate yum!

32+5

Replies

• Options
    Dont do it!!! I took lucozade and it made me very sick. Its very offputting to be throwing up lucozade when you are trying to cuddle your newborn. I still cant drink it and its nine months later. My midwife advised just drinking water. Try taking some boiled sweets for a bit of sugar.
  • Options
    I took jelly babies but I was not allowed to eat them. For some reason they don't let you eat durig labour. I guess this maybe incase you need a c section? I was also told you can get quite sick if you have energy drinks so becareful! I am sure you will do fine without them. Your body will store energy for the birth hence why you acn feel tired a few days before x
  • Options
    I was eating bananas and cereal bars and drinking water throughout my labour, even in the pool

fiona xxx
    37+3
  • Options
    Plain water is all I had. Tried blackcurrant squash but just the smell made me sick, narrowly missed my partners lap!!
    Ate about 2 boxes of cereal bars afterwards as I was starving.

Yvette x
  • Options
    Thanks ladies everyone says different things including the midwifes by the sounds of it.

I think I will just have my summer fruits squash as I hate just water, bananas and tracker snack bars oh and maybe flapjacks love them and have not had any for an age, may just have to get some.

33+2

• Options
    when i had my son they made me eat macaroni chesse! Needless to say this came back up a short while later. I plan to take some of the lucozade sports drinks with me this time, not any thing with caffine as this could affect the baby's heart rate but just something to give me an energy boost.
  • Options
    I was allowed water - nothing else - and I was in labour for over 24 hours, I was so hungry - I begged to be allowed sugar in hotwater but wasn't even allowed that!!!
  • Options
    hi. with all my 5 labours i have just sipped water or weak orange squash, to be honest, i never felt hungry in labour and you don't really seem to want to eat. but after birth i have a small bottle of coke and a mars bar for the suger. xx