Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Baby Harriet born 03/05/08-my birth story

My due date of 1st May came and went and i ended up doing loads of housework and preparation for baby. I started having contractions as back ache, like period pain at 9.30pm and they were coming every 7 minutes. I timed the pains for 1 hour and they were lasting for about 30 seconds at a time and were regular. Hubby went to bed in anticipation of a long night, i tried to get some rest but couldn't. I did a hot water bottle, bounced on the birthing ball and rang the hospital at midnight to let them know i would be coming in at some time that night. I got a hot bath and put up with the pain that had got stronger and more frequent (every 5 mins). At 2.30am i gave up and went to the hospital. I had planned on an epidural and wanted to make sure i got one (as last time i left it to late). When i got to the hospital they did an internal to see if i was in established labour but i was only 2-3 cm dilated so was'nt able to have an epidural just yet. I had a hot bath and soaked for over an hour before being examined again. I was now 3-4cm so was told i could have the epidural and she went to call the anaesthesist. The epidural takes awhile to set up as they have to tell you everything that could go wrong and side effects etc. I hadn't had any pain relief so far and i wish i had have had the pethidine injection first as the epidural was very painful to administer without any pain relief first. It started to work after 10 mins and gave me some welcome relief. I could still feel my legs but it numbed the pain in my back,pelvis and thighs. I did not feel out of control, just relieved. I had the epidural topped up when the feeling started to come back and again after about 10 mins the pain has eased. I was due to be examined internally at 9.15 to see how far dilated i was but at 9.05 i felt something come out of me and it was my waters (cos they hadn't broken) still in their sack. The midwife thought this was a bit unusual but fine. She looked and said the baby is right behind and started frantically putting gowns on and getting ready for delivery. I could still feel a contraction coming but it wasn't painful, just a strange feeling. I was told to push when i felt the pressure, after 15 minutes of pushing the baby's heart rate was dippinmg so they went to get the midwife manager who stayed with me for the next 45 minutes until i had pushed her out. They said this was a long second stage but her chin had got stuck so it was hard work for me to get her out. She was born at 10.05am and weighed 7lb 5oz. The midwives were brilliant, i had Harriet delivered onto me and ahe stayed there for awhile so i could have a cuddle.The midwifes checked me over, cleaned me up and left us alone for at least an hour bringing us some tea and toast. I was then able to get into a shower and although my legs felt a bit wobbly, i was fine. The epidural only takes about 1-2 hours to wear off so i was fine and would definitely recommend. I was then transferred to a ward to enjoy my baby. image

Replies