Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Epidural

Hello Ladies, I thought I'd ask you as not seeing my midwife for another 3 weeks yet - if you have an epidural how long does it take to wear off and how soon can you go home afterwards. I've said to my husband that as soon as I can bend over and get my knickers on - I want to come home, but I'm also a wimp and want an epidural - so does it affect how long you have to stay in afterwards?
thanks in advance
xx

Replies

• I had an epidural with my little one, who is 3 weeks old. He was born at 08.36 and by about 10.30/11.00am, I was in the shower and walked round to the postnatal ward.

I had 30 hours of labour and had the epidural after about 24 hours of labour and 2 seperate attempts to push him out...it was the best thing ever and when I have another baby, I'll be having another. There is nothing whimpish about having one!!
  • Hi claire, i had an epidural...which was the most incredible pain relief ever! I had mine at 4pm and Joshua was born at 9pm and it was still working very well then when i eventually pushed the f**ker out - sorry about that but he had a very big head! I then had a top up of the epidural cos i needed stitches and when i woke up at 8am following morning my legs were heavy but i could just about walk- so probably about 12hrs for me till i was ok but as i said i did have a top up! Hope this helps x
  • one word for the epidural is fantastic, i was walking round the ward 5 hours after having it and was allowed home the next day, had 2 stay in as had alot of stiches and baby was born with vontuse and forceps x
  • i had one with my first and it was fantastic!!!! 1 hour after having her i walked to the bath room for a bath then walked around my room and went home the next morning had her at 1.30 am and was home by 12 (lunch time) and that was only because i was the last person to be seen!!!
  • my epidural wore off instantly cos they missed! It didnt work at all! lol x
  • Love - I've had 2...1st one had 3 tops ups so was completely unable to do anything and was on 15 min obs as I was poorly...but the pain relief was the BEST!

Number 2 I was up and about pretty quickly afterwards, had him at 6 in the morning...stayed in 1 night due to him having swallowed meconium and was in work the next day showing off the little chap!

I will expect another one this time unless we get badly snowed in and dont make it to hospital...but 8yr old reckons he will be OK to deliver baby, which is good as eldest will be in a flap and I reckon hubby will faint...so as long as I have 2 sets of pliers and a good sharp pair of scissors we are sorted for cutting the cord :lol: Have got 2 farms either side on hill and both farmers wives have delivered sheep or cattle so it will all be fine...I look like a right heffer at the moment anyway image
  • my epidural failed too samantha24, annoying or what!!! & they were unable to come & resite it so did 16hrs of active without it, thank god for gas & air.....so about 1-2hrs after having Sonny once I was stitched up I went & had a shower but was still a bit weak in the knees.

Don't know what hospital you go to claire21 but I had heard from some people that they were able to go home atfer a few hours but my hospital didn't allow anyone to leave until minimum 24hrs after birth.
  • Hi Beebee, I'm in Bedford - I think they want rid of you pretty quick from what I can gather, which suits me. I'll have to ask my midwife. She can be a bit aloof and so I haven't really had much chance to discuss it with her - big scared as I'm not seeing her until I'm 37 weeks - eeekkkkk.

I should point out before I get winched up by my sore nipples by the babyexpert-bitches, I wasn't implying that anyone who had an epidural was a wimp, what I should of said was - i want as much pain reflief as possible! And god help me and anyone in Bedfordshire if it doesn't work on me, maybe I should take everyone in some ear-plugs!
    thanks x
  • claire21

Hope you've not misunderstood my post, I'm all for whatever pain relief suits and for me the best thing I did was to get an epidural.... sod the "natural, no pain relief way"
  • me too claire21, i wanted it all & was begging for pethadine just as they wanted me to start pushing image
  • Oh dear, I must say - I'm dreading the birth bit. I'm not sure I fully understand it can be wonderful - yes the baby bit, but surely not the shitting yourself, agony and stitches - but I'm not knocking anyone that does it.
    I wasn't referring to anyones replies on here - there is an on going bitchrant elsewhere, and I thought afterwards that maybe by saying wimp and epidural in the same sentence wsa a little tactless.
    thanks again.
  • hi claire21 its normal to dread the birth bit and i have to say i was dreading it with my 4th much more than i did with my first (think thats coz i knew what was coming) but it is true you do forget the second your baby is born and tbh when its happening you just get on with it in whatever way you can. Good luck hun and take whatever they offer you.
  • Epidurals are fecking marvellous me dear, I had one both times. First time was in 1998 tho and it was totally restricting as I was numb from the waist to the tip of my toes. Last baby was born 2004, and it was a mobile one so I could still move my legs and it wore off enough for me to shower within 30mins maximum of his delivery. I shall have another if I dont have a c-sec as I cant regard them highly enough!!!!
  • hi im planning an epidural with my 3rd,as i had one with my 1st 14 yearsago,and it was marvellous!! it was too late with my 2nd as i thought i could cope with the pain,till it was too late,hoping theyve got anaethetist on standby,when i arrive!!!!
  • hi claire dont dread the birth hun its not that bad and i was in labour for 40 hours and tore badly! i had the birthing pool and gas and air and i think the reason i didnt have more drugs was because of the water (you not allowed) and i was removed from myself? i can remember the pain sort of esp the head coming out as i was pain relief free but your body takes over i think and pumps you with adreneline. after the birth its true what they say you forget most of the pain and i cant wait to do it all again! its crazy really cos im sure the pain is worse than being shot but you wouldnt want to do that again! go with the flow and you never know you might not need it. i wanted a pain relief free birth and went in with open mind! xx
  • Try not to dread the birth, it is just one day in your life after all. thousands of women give birth everyday & come out the other side. if you're in too much pain, ask for pain relief, they are happy to give it. ask for everything up front if you think you'll need it - they can then be prepared. you won't remember a thing once its over. don't watch any birth videos or anything like that as they are trying to scare you, it won't be like that for you & you'll be caught in the moment to be scared etc. Best of Luck xx
  • hi,
    as long as you have had an ok birth you should be able to go home after 6 hours. I have had epidurals for 2 of my children (i have 3) and have been ok'd to go home after both even though i have not been able to walk properly.
    i found the anesthetic wears of 8-10 hours after the birth only i suppose it depends on how many times you have been topped up etc.
    still as long as your birth has been problem free and you and baby are ok regardless of the fact you have had an epidural you should still be allowed to go home (depending on your hospitals policy)
    failing that if you are sure you are ok and your baby is ok you could always discharge yourself and your baby. i did this after my first as after 24 hours the Peadiatrition still hadnt been to check my baby and both my mum and my partner were waiting to see me and they wernt allowed in at the same time. if you discharge yourself and baby a doctor should come to your house to see you with in 24 hours of the birth.
    if the hospital tell you you are not allowed to take your baby from the premisis with out being checked by the pead they are lying.
    Toni xx
  • I demanded an epidural at one point during my labour......but I was at home! I convinced the midwifes I had had enough and told them to call an ambulance and have an anaesthetist on standby for my epidural. Once the paramedics arrived her head crowned so I was told to get back in my pool and push her out. Once you start pushing the pain almost goes away and you become really determined. She was born into the water in the dining room in the end. Please don't get yourself worried as however you choose to give birth and whatever pain relief you decide on, you will always look back on your labour as an amazing experience and won't be able to wait to do it again! Good luck.....you'll be great!